Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/04 19:39:14 UTC

CWiki and IDE instructions

The "How to contribute" page here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/HowToContribute

contains links to two obsolete pages for configuring Eclipse and IntelliJ:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/HowToConfigureEclipse

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/lucene/HowtoConfigureIntelliJ

As well as a link to configuring NetBeans.

I don't have the bandwidth to rewrite these pages. Do we really even want them? Or should we just replace the links on the "How To Contribute" page with a short message giving the "ant idea", "ant eclipse", "gradlew idea or "gradlew eclipse" commands and a message about "contact the Solr user's list or dev list for assistance with setting up your IDE if you have problems".

Then delete the linked pages?

Re: CWiki and IDE instructions

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
Moreover, with more and more helpful information showing up in the codebase
itself lately (as Dawid pointed to), I think we should remove corresponding
information in the wiki.  Less to maintain, more/different places of
information can be more confusing.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@gmail.com>.
I'm curious if "gradlew idea" is needed. Is seem to remember idea just
importing a gradlew project with no additional steps? Although it's
possible I had run the setup commander and forgotten.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Gone.