Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by jason mazzotta <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/17 05:53:36 UTC

Empty rpath when attempting make swig-py

Hi,
    I am trying to build the swig python bindings for subversion on Mac OS
X.  I downloaded source for subversion from here:

http://opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-109/

I ran configure as follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-swig --enable-swig-bindings=python

Make works.  But then, when I run:

make swig-py

I get the following error from libtool

cd subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py && /bin/sh
/Users/fred/sandbox/subversion-52/subversion/libtool --tag=CC --silent
--mode=link gcc  -g -O2     -rpath  -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup
-Wl,-F. -o libsvn_swig_py-1.la  swigutil_py.lo
../../../../../subversion/libsvn_client/libsvn_client-1.la../../../../../subversion/libsvn_wc/
libsvn_wc-1.la ../../../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra-1.la../../../../../subversion/libsvn_delta/
libsvn_delta-1.la
../../../../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la-L/usr/lib
-R/usr/lib -laprutil-1 -lldap -llber -llber    -lexpat -liconv
  -lsqlite3        -lldap -llber -llber -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -lapr-1
-lpthread -framework Security -framework CoreFoundation -framework
CoreServices

libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed

make: *** [subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py/
libsvn_swig_py-1.la] Error 1

I think this is because -rpath doesn't have anything after it.  I looked at
the swig-py target in the Makefile and found the following:

swig-py: autogen-swig-py copy-swig-py

I can't find the target autogen-swig-py in the Makefile.  Can anyone tell
me where I can find this target defined?  Is there somewhere else I should
look to find why -rpath is empty above?

I am not subscribed to the subversion users e-mail list.  I would
appreciate being Cc:ed in any responses.

Thank you,

Jason Mazzotta

Re: Empty rpath when attempting make swig-py

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On 11/16/13 8:53 PM, jason mazzotta wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am trying to build the swig python bindings for subversion on Mac OS X.
>  I downloaded source for subversion from here:
>
> http://opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-109/

I don't see Subversion listed on that site.  However my guess would be that's a
really old version since Apple as far as I know is still shipping 1.7.x (or
1.6.x if you're on an older version of OS X).

So I'd suggest you get a copy of the source from the project site here:
http://subversion.apache.org/download/

Alternatively you could just get a binary package.  I know for instance that
the WANdisco binaries include bindings:
http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

If you still want to build anyway.  Note that in order for SWIG bindings to
build properly on OS X you'll need to regenerate the swig interface source
files.  We include pre-built ones but there's an issue where the pre-built ones
don't work on OS X.  In order to do this you need to have SWIG installed,
autoconf and libtool.  Once you've done that starting with a fresh extracted
tarball run:

./autogen.sh

>From there you should be able to build with the normal build process like you
did here:

> I ran configure as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-swig --enable-swig-bindings=python
>

> Make works.  But then, when I run:
>

> make swig-py
>

> I get the following error from libtool
>

> cd subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py && /bin/sh
> /Users/fred/sandbox/subversion-52/subversion/libtool --tag=CC --silent
> --mode=link gcc  -g -O2     -rpath  -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -Wl,-F.
> -o libsvn_swig_py-1.la <http://libsvn_swig_py-1.la>  swigutil_py.lo
> ../../../../../subversion/libsvn_client/libsvn_client-1.la
> <http://libsvn_client-1.la> ../../../../../subversion/libsvn_wc/libsvn_wc-1.la
> <http://libsvn_wc-1.la> ../../../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra-1.la
> <http://libsvn_ra-1.la>
> ../../../../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la
> <http://libsvn_delta-1.la>
> ../../../../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la
> <http://libsvn_subr-1.la> -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -laprutil-1 -lldap -llber
> -llber    -lexpat -liconv    -lsqlite3        -lldap -llber -llber -L/usr/lib
> -R/usr/lib -lapr-1 -lpthread -framework Security -framework CoreFoundation
> -framework CoreServices
>
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
>
> make: *** [subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py/libsvn_swig_py-1.la
> <http://libsvn_swig_py-1.la>] Error 1

This error doesn't look familar to me.  But I can say that I don't have an
empty -rpath with our 1.8.4 source.

> I think this is because -rpath doesn't have anything after it.  I looked at the
> swig-py target in the Makefile and found the following:
>
> swig-py: autogen-swig-py copy-swig-py
>

> I can't find the target autogen-swig-py in the Makefile.  Can anyone tell me
> where I can find this target defined?  Is there somewhere else I should look to
> find why -rpath is empty above?

In the source directory in the file named build-outputs.mk (which is included
part way through the Makefile).  However, I'd suggest you not go down the dark
path of debugging the build without first trying a newer source package.

If nothing else you almost always want the newest version of the bindings since
we fix bugs in them on a regular basis.