Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/03/17 01:23:41 UTC

[OT] ApacheCon

Are any of you planning to attend the North America ApacheCon? I have
not yet decided whether to go.

Patricia

Re: [OT] ApacheCon

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 3/22/2016 3:10 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 21/03/2016 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> On 3/20/2016 10:02 AM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>>> I would have liked to attend but my TAC application wasn't successful.
>> TAC was apparently faced with an unusually large number of high quality
>> applications, and had to tighten their criteria
>
> ...and we have the opposite problem; we have an OpenOffice travel fund
> that can supplement TAC and nobody asks for it. So I recommend that
> active members who would like to travel to ApacheCon NA and would feel
> better with some form of financial support ask for it. We wouldn't be
> able to fully fund participants (I think a TAC grant is worth around
> 1,000 USD) but maybe 500 USD is a feasible amount for people who made
> substantial contributions recently.
>
> I gave up insisting on this subject since nobody ever asked for a
> reimbursement even though I had taken care of discussing rules and
> amounts for three or four events in the past. But if there is interest I
> will be very happy to revive this effort, and make sure that some more
> people can attend ApacheCon.
>
> As for the entrance fee (the conference ticket), I don't know how it
> works, but I know that one can get a discount by being available for
> assistance to speakers (e.g., microphone/projector setup) and similar
> tasks. This should be checked directly with Rich Bowen (apache id:
> rbowen) since I haven't read about it on the mailing lists.

In my case the issue is whether ApacheCon is the best use of about a
week of my time during a busy month, but if the OpenOffice travel fund
got some of the OpenOffice contributors there, I would be more inclined
to go.

Patricia

Re: [OT] ApacheCon

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 21/03/2016 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> On 3/20/2016 10:02 AM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>> I would have liked to attend but my TAC application wasn't successful.
> TAC was apparently faced with an unusually large number of high quality
> applications, and had to tighten their criteria

...and we have the opposite problem; we have an OpenOffice travel fund
that can supplement TAC and nobody asks for it. So I recommend that
active members who would like to travel to ApacheCon NA and would feel
better with some form of financial support ask for it. We wouldn't be
able to fully fund participants (I think a TAC grant is worth around
1,000 USD) but maybe 500 USD is a feasible amount for people who made
substantial contributions recently.

I gave up insisting on this subject since nobody ever asked for a
reimbursement even though I had taken care of discussing rules and
amounts for three or four events in the past. But if there is interest I
will be very happy to revive this effort, and make sure that some more
people can attend ApacheCon.

As for the entrance fee (the conference ticket), I don't know how it
works, but I know that one can get a discount by being available for
assistance to speakers (e.g., microphone/projector setup) and similar
tasks. This should be checked directly with Rich Bowen (apache id:
rbowen) since I haven't read about it on the mailing lists.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [OT] ApacheCon

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 3/20/2016 10:02 AM, Carl Marcum wrote:
> On 03/16/2016 08:23 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> Are any of you planning to attend the North America ApacheCon? I have
>> not yet decided whether to go.
>>
>> Patricia

> I would have liked to attend but my TAC application wasn't successful.

TAC was apparently faced with an unusually large number of high quality
applications, and had to tighten their criteria, even with some extra
money. :-(

Re: [OT] ApacheCon

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

RE: [OT] ApacheCon

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[orcmid]

If there will be an exhibition area or other place where there might be an ASF booth or tables, I might be able to enter the conference as an Exhibitor, in the same manner as at OSCON for the past two years.

That usually provides access to attending individuals, board members, and meetings that are separate from the sessions but at the venue.

I don't know how that works in the case of ApacheCon.

 - Dennis

Re: [OT] ApacheCon

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

RE: [OT] ApacheCon