Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2009/04/27 06:35:59 UTC

SOLRizing advice?

Hello list,

I am surely not the only one who wishes to migrate from bare lucene to
solr.
Many different reasons can be there, e.g. facetting, web-
externalization, ease of update... what interests me here are the
steps needed in the form of advice as to what to use.

Here's a few hints. I would love a web-page grouping all these:

- first change references to indexwriter/indexreader/indexsearch to be
those of SOLR using embedded-solr-server

- make a first solr schema with appropriate analyzers by defining
particular dynamic fields

- slowly replace the queries methods with solr queries, slowly taking
advantage of solr features

- web-expose the solr core for at least admin by merging the web.xml

Does such a web-page already exist?

thanks in advance

paul

Re: SOLRizing advice?

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
It is a very uncommon usecase to "slowly" migrate from lucene to Solr.
I somehow feel that the piecemeal migration is going to be more
expensive than the whole migration .

happy hacking...
--Noble

--
--Noble Paul

Re: SOLRizing advice?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
My turn to help, Paul.

There is no such page on the Solr Wiki, but I agree with Paul, this can really be a quick and painless migration for typical Lucene/Solr setups.  This is roughly how I'd do things:

- I'd set up Solr
- I'd create the schema.xml mimicking the fields in the existing Lucene index
- I'd copy over the Lucene index, keeping in mind Lucene jar versions, Solr/Lucene jar versions, and index compatibility
- Start Solr
- Go to Admin page and run test queries
- Go to schema/solrconfig.xml and add various other things - proper cache sizes, index replication, dismax, spellchecker, etc.

- Go to Lucene-based indexer classes and change them to use Solrj
- Go to Lucene-based searcher classes and change them to use Solrj

I'd leave embedded Solr and dynamic fields for phase 2 of the migration, unless those things really are necessary.
I don't think you'd need to do anything with web.xml - solr comes as a webapp, packaged in a way, which contains its own web.xml

Otis