Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eason Chen <da...@qq.com> on 2020/08/04 10:03:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] EventMesh Proposal

Good time of the time to all!

I'd like to bring this new interesting project for the discussion, comments and feedback with the aim of starting a formal [VOTE] of its acceptance into Incubator.

People behind this project aren't new to Apache: some of them were behind the Apache RocketMQ, which I consider a huge success(especially in China)as the community is literally thriving almost 3 years after the graduation.

I have been involved a little bit with this project when it just started in WeBank a few years ago. And I'd like to emphasize that the community however small it might look so far, has been aligned with Apache ways of doing things. Heng Du (from RocketMQ PMC) is very instrumental in tirelessly helping this group to learn what it means to be a truly open source project.

The code is already under ALv2 and is publicly available. As you will see it has a lot of dependency connections with the rest of Apache ecosystem and IMO will fit very well here and continue to grow the community.

The project's proposal is available at [1].

Thank you very much for the feedback you're willing to provide!

&nbsp;With best regards,

&nbsp;Eason Chen

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/EventMeshProposal

Re: [DISCUSS] EventMesh Proposal

Posted by heng du <du...@apache.org>.
Thanks for @Duane's reply.

Duane Pauls <du...@gmail.com> 于2020年8月11日周二 上午12:25写道:

Posted by heng du <du...@apache.org>.
Thanks for @Duane's reply.

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
> Thanks for the honesty, I prefer you should adjust the proposal to match
> the reality. Such as
> 1. Just open-sourced
> 2. Have a risk of being an orphaned project
> 3. Community development would be a challenge

As mentioned in wusheng’s previous email, the challenge should be stated in
the proposal.

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX & Apache SkyWalking
Twitter: _WenMing

Eason Chen <da...@qq.com> 于2020年8月14日周五 上午10:52写道:

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

回复: [DISCUSS] EventMesh Proposal

Posted by Eason Chen <da...@qq.com>.
Hi,
I want to modify the description of the proposal to make it more accurate, please help me add permissions,thanks

Here are the details of my account:
Usernamechenguangsheng
Emailchenguangsheng@apache.org
Full NameChen Guangsheng

Posted by Duane Pauls <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Duane Pauls <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by heng du <du...@apache.org>.
Hi @Michael

Posted by heng du <du...@apache.org>.
Hi @Michael

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi

Im PMC member from ActiveMQ project.
I like the idea, nice. +1 on it as a project idea.

I am though a little -1 on the name of the project, I would recommend that an alternative name for the project is found as there maybe a conflict in rights ability to copyright and trademark to it.

I’m aware there is a commercial vendor messaging company called Solace, where they use and market their product with heavy use of the name Event Mesh, you can see this just googling event mesh, brings back many hits to their products, marketing material and other records, so they may hold a heavy claim to this name.

Best
Michael

> On 4 Aug 2020, at 18:33, Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Easen,
>
> +1, Having worked in a similar domain so far, I have to say this is an
> interesting project. If you are seeking new mentors, please consider adding
> me as a mentor to the project.
>
> Regards
> Kevin
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:34 PM Eason Chen <da...@qq.com> wrote:
>
>> Good time of the time to all!
>>

>> I'd like to bring this new interesting project for the discussion,
>> comments and feedback with the aim of starting a formal [VOTE] of its
>> acceptance into Incubator.
>>

>> People behind this project aren't new to Apache: some of them were behind
>> the Apache RocketMQ, which I consider a huge success(especially in China)as
>> the community is literally thriving almost 3 years after the graduation.
>>

>> I have been involved a little bit with this project when it just started
>> in WeBank a few years ago. And I'd like to emphasize that the community
>> however small it might look so far, has been aligned with Apache ways of
>> doing things. Heng Du (from RocketMQ PMC) is very instrumental in
>> tirelessly helping this group to learn what it means to be a truly open
>> source project.
>>

>> The code is already under ALv2 and is publicly available. As you will see
>> it has a lot of dependency connections with the rest of Apache ecosystem
>> and IMO will fit very well here and continue to grow the community.
>>

>> The project's proposal is available at [1].
>>

>> Thank you very much for the feedback you're willing to provide!
>>

>> &nbsp;With best regards,
>>
>> &nbsp;Eason Chen
>>

>> [1]
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/EventMeshProposal

Re: [DISCUSS] EventMesh Proposal

Posted by fp...@apache.org.
Hi,

+1, I'm also interesting by this project and I would be happy to help as
mentor if needed.

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Easen,

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
There are now 10 contributors of this project, but seven of them started
the first commit in July.
That's a little strange.

Eason Chen <da...@qq.com> 于2020年8月6日周四 下午5:44写道:

Posted by Eason Chen <da...@qq.com>.
Hi, wenming
[...]

&gt; People behind this project aren't new to Apache: some of them were behind
&gt; the Apache RocketMQ, which I consider a huge success(especially in China)as
&gt; the community is literally thriving almost 3 years after the graduation.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I have been involved a little bit with this project when it just started
&gt; in WeBank a few years ago. And I'd like to emphasize that the community
&gt; however small it might look so far, has been aligned with Apache ways of
&gt; doing things. Heng Du (from RocketMQ PMC) is very instrumental in
&gt; tirelessly helping this group to learn what it means to be a truly open
&gt; source project.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; The code is already under ALv2 and is publicly available. As you will see
&gt; it has a lot of dependency connections with the rest of Apache ecosystem

Posted by Eason Chen <da...@qq.com>.
Hi,
EventMesh will no longer rely strongly on RocketMQ in the future, it is only one choice of the storage layer, other MQs, redis,&nbsp; blockchain can be supported in the future plans.

EventMesh is very different from Camel i think, it positioned in event governance and mesh cloud nativeization.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] EventMesh Proposal

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] EventMesh Proposal

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eason Chen <da...@qq.com>.
Hi,

We do not deny that the community is not really big and active, we share our best practices and look forward to getting more people's attention and help, at the same time can help our colleagues&nbsp;.we believe that as long as we find the right method and organization such as the apache way, the community will become stronger and stronger.&nbsp;

In addition, I want to clarify that these codes are submitted by the entire team within our company, but I open sourced them, as you see some components are not yet open source, we are reviewing and reforming internally, and will open source soon.

I have some questions about the status of the project, especially about the
`Orphaned Products` and the activity of the community.

With a project open-sourced since September 2019, this doesn't seem like
the status you said in the proposal.
1. If the EventMesh repo is the only code repo, AFAIK, there is only one
contributor who has submitted the codes over 110 lines, most are just < 50
lines. https://github.com/WeBankFinTech/EventMesh/graphs/contributors
2. Only have 35 issues opened on the GitHub.
https://github.com/WeBankFinTech/EventMesh/issues
3. The issues(since issue #21) since 21 days ago have no comment any all.

From my understanding, this project is only limited maintained by one and
only one for now.

To the project community, could you respond what is the real status now?
And why there is a gap between your proposal and GitHub open statistics?

Personally, I have concerns about the activity and support of the
community, or a little more, whether the basic community has been
established.
I think the incubator should notice the status, in case, it will be hard to
make consensus and release soon in the incubating stage.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Ming Wen <wenming@apache.org&gt; 于2020年8月6日周四 下午5:24写道:

&gt; Hi, Eason,
&gt; It's an interesting project. And I have a few questions and
&gt; it would be great if you could help:
&gt; 1. According to github's statistics[1], most of the code was contributed by
&gt; yourself.
&gt; So if you're on vacation, this project will not easy to move forward.
&gt; 2. An external dependency `logback` is LGPL license, which is Category X.
[...]
&gt; &gt; the community is literally thriving almost 3 years after the graduation.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I have been involved a little bit with this project when it just started
&gt; &gt; in WeBank a few years ago. And I'd like to emphasize that the community
&gt; &gt; however small it might look so far, has been aligned with Apache ways of
&gt; &gt; doing things. Heng Du (from RocketMQ PMC) is very instrumental in
&gt; &gt; tirelessly helping this group to learn what it means to be a truly open
&gt; &gt; source project.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; The code is already under ALv2 and is publicly available. As you will see
&gt; &gt; it has a lot of dependency connections with the rest of Apache ecosystem

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Noticed this a little late.

I have some questions about the status of the project, especially about the
`Orphaned Products` and the activity of the community.

With a project open-sourced since September 2019, this doesn't seem like
the status you said in the proposal.
1. If the EventMesh repo is the only code repo, AFAIK, there is only one
contributor who has submitted the codes over 110 lines, most are just < 50
lines. https://github.com/WeBankFinTech/EventMesh/graphs/contributors
2. Only have 35 issues opened on the GitHub.
https://github.com/WeBankFinTech/EventMesh/issues
3. The issues(since issue #21) since 21 days ago have no comment any all.

From my understanding, this project is only limited maintained by one and
only one for now.

Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> 于2020年8月6日周四 下午5:24写道:

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.