Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net> on 2015/12/12 01:24:51 UTC

Can a YARN container request be fulfilled by a container with less memory?

If an Application Master requests N containers, each with 2000 MB of memory, should all container allocations received by the AM always have a memory allocation of at least 2000 MB?

We have a case of requesting N 2000 MB containers and received one container with only 1024 MB. The rest were 2048MB. We are using the default Capacity Scheduler.

Is this a configuration error on our part or has the Resource Manager somehow returned the wrong size container allocation?  Should we simply reject small containers and wait for the RM to find a larger one for us?

John Lilley