Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Nitin Lamba <ni...@ampool.io> on 2015/12/01 00:28:17 UTC

Re: Review of 1.0.0-alpha1 issues

Thanks Anil,

>From the best practices section:

"TODO: (move to a note) Notes on 0.x releases verses alpha and betas. It is better to use 0.x releases than to create numerous alphas and betas for 1.0. Conventionally, 0.x releases are aimed at early adopters only without a strong promise of easy upgrade or backwards compatibility. 0.x is a good designation for a product that is not feature complete but whose code is solid for those features which are implemented. "

My preference would be for dot releases instead of alpha1, apha2, beta, RC, etc. Other thoughts?

As for the release tasks, perhaps you missed the Wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/1.0.0-alpha1+%28First%29+Release

The JIRA (Agile) Board is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=92&view=planning

Was hoping to get more discussion/ feedback from the community on the Wiki before JIRA versions and tasks are created. Please review/ comment the contents, if not done already.

Thanks,
-Nitin
Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
I would like to see one alpha. I don't think we're sure how solid some of
this stuff is.

"Testing cannot prove the absence of bugs...only the presence."

--
Mike Stolz
Principal Engineer - Gemfire Product Manager

Posted by Mark Bretl <mb...@pivotal.io>.
@Anthony - I think your git flow statement was meant to be 'git flow
feature track GEODE-608' for helping with RAT integration. I will take a
look at the branch.

As for the release numbering/naming discussion...I agree with 1.0.0-alpha1
for the upcoming release.

--Mark

--
Mark Bretl
Software Build Engineer

Re: Review of 1.0.0-alpha1 issues

Posted by Anthony Baker <me...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I just resolved GEODE-611.

Posted by Nitin Lamba <ni...@ampool.io>.
Great discussion!

So we're certainly cutting an initial (alpha1) release. Depending on its completeness/ quality, we can decide another alpha/ beta/ RC/ etc.

@Anil: though I also prefer dot releases, Geode is somewhat different in that it is a mature codebase out of the gate. So maybe it should be '0.9-alpha1' :)

Let's focus on '1.0.0-alpha1' for now, and we can pick-up any residual ideas/ views during the ClubHouse later this month. I've created the version within JIRA (can be renamed easily).

Per Anthony's first e-mail, following is the status/ questions:
- GEODE-32: If the process steps on the Wiki look fairly stable, I'll resolve this JIRA. Will wait until COB today to get any feedback/ questions
- GEODE-18: @Dick: any updates?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks Nitin,