Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de> on 2001/06/08 08:16:59 UTC

Linux and Tomcat crashes

Slightly off-topic but perhaps you can help:

We are having problems running Cocoon on Linux (Suse 7.1) under heavy load.
After certain periods Tomcat just crashes. From what we have been able to
find out so far this may be due to the Java version and/or Tomcat version.
It does not happen under Win*

Can I get some feedback on which Java / Tomcat version you are using under
Linux - especially in high-load scenarios. I would also be interested in any
similar experiences you have made and if possible - how you solved it.

Thanks!

Matthew Langham

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

Re: Linux and Tomcat crashes

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Matthew Langham wrote:
> Slightly off-topic but perhaps you can help:
>
> We are having problems running Cocoon on Linux (Suse 7.1) under heavy load.
> After certain periods Tomcat just crashes. From what we have been able to
> find out so far this may be due to the Java version and/or Tomcat version.
> It does not happen under Win*

Is the error message something like this?
#
# HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error
# Please report this error at
# http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
#
# Error ID: 43113F32554E54494D45110E43505002C5
#
# Problematic Thread: prio=1 tid=0x816c4b8 nid=0x5a3b suspended
#

It is described at
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4355769.html
Might happen in all java programs runnig Linux, that use a lot of threads.

I' am afraid using JDK 1.2.2 or a other OS  is the only solution for now :-(
The IBM jdk ((build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build cx130-20000815 (JIT enabled:
jitc) does not crash, if it runs Cocoon under heavy load, but freezes.

Sun jdk 1.3.1. does not run at all on my Suse 7.1.

Ciao
	Martin Holz

--
Martin Holz                         FIZ CHEMIE BERLIN
Franklinstraße 11                 mailto:holz@fiz-chemie.de

Re: Linux and Tomcat crashes

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
Benjamin Franz <sn...@nihongo.org> wrote:

> We actually had to abandon using servlets for XSLT rendering because of
> this. We did not find any successful work arounds otherwise.

Is the crash point definable? i.e. Can you state that it crashes when answering 1000 requests, or 100 requests or 10? If it is definable, you can have requests queued for delivery (by using an apache server as the front-end for example), thus keeping load values low.

Every web server has a crash point. If not because of the server itself (as is the case with Java-based servers), then because system resources dry out. You always have to keep the server below crash point. If not, either the server will crash or the system will start thrashing and will grind to a halt.

Sergio

Re: Linux and Tomcat crashes

Posted by Benjamin Franz <sn...@nihongo.org>.
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Matthew Langham wrote:

> Slightly off-topic but perhaps you can help:
>
> We are having problems running Cocoon on Linux (Suse 7.1) under heavy load.
> After certain periods Tomcat just crashes. From what we have been able to
> find out so far this may be due to the Java version and/or Tomcat version.
> It does not happen under Win*
>
> Can I get some feedback on which Java / Tomcat version you are using under
> Linux - especially in high-load scenarios. I would also be interested in any
> similar experiences you have made and if possible - how you solved it.

We saw two failure modes here for failures that _especially_ occured under
heavy load. The first was simply needing too much memory for a transofrm
and was addressed by increasing the allocated heap space from the default
64M to 256M.

The second appeared to possibly be threading related - essentially if you
push a servlet engine (we tried three different engines, including TomCat)
hard enough on Linux using the Blackdown Java JDK (1.2.2 or 1.3-FCS) it
goes runaway, gobbles all available memory and crashes (this was repeated
with XT as servlet, Xalan-J-2 as servlet and Cocoon 1.74 w/Xalan-j-1.x.).
The failure mode _never_ appears to happen when XSLT transformers are
invoked via a command line program (although I've on rare occasion had
'hung' java processes that simply stopped doing anything and had to be
manually killed to remove them from the process table).

We actually had to abandon using servlets for XSLT rendering because of
this. We did not find any successful work arounds otherwise.

--
Benjamin Franz

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming."
                                         ---C.A.R. Hoare

Re: Linux and Tomcat crashes

Posted by Benjamin Franz <sn...@nihongo.org>.