Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com> on 2007/12/12 04:19:08 UTC

Patch procedures

Hi,

I suppose it might be time for me to get with the programme. I've been
swamped with my own stuff for a long time now but rather than sending
a patch to the list I'm guessing it'd be preferred that I do it the
Apache Way, which unfortunately I have never tried to do, nor have I
managed to keep track of any emails that were sent through over the
past few months outlining how this works.

I've got a relatively benign patch that could serve as a trial run,
changing from the current void to a boolean return on

    public static synchronized void addWikiEventListener(
             Object client, int type, WikiEventListener listener )

in com.ecyrd.jspwiki.event.WikiEventUtils. Turns out I actually need
that returned value and it's easy to derive.

Is there some handy documentation or help on how I would submit a
patch?

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Patch procedures

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> Someone else will have to give you details, but if you're using cvs,
> you'll need to use the diff program to make a patch to upload to jira.

Janne seemed unclear on this, so any idea who?

I current create diffs using

    diff -Naur dir1 dir2

...assuming that's what you mean.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Patch procedures

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Murray,

Someone else will have to give you details, but if you're using cvs,
you'll need to use the diff program to make a patch to upload to jira.

Craig

On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Murray Altheim wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Murray,
>> It's usually documented in the project's "get involved" page,
>> which we don't have yet.
>> Take a look at http://openjpa.apache.org/found-a-bug.html for how
>> to submit a patch.
>> Basically, most projects use jira and svn, and there is a standard
>> process:
>> 1. File a jira at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI.
>> 2. Create a patch by going to the trunk of the repo and doing e.g.
>> svn diff >jspwiki-12.patch
>> 3. Upload the patch.
>> In our case, there's no svn repo in Apache yet, so the process is
>> different. But that's how it will work when the repo is moved over.
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for that. But what do we do in the interim, as I'd like to
> potentially put in a couple of patches to the 2.6 branch, as I'll
> be finishing up some testing on the events package this week and
> potentially may have a bug fix or two.
>
> Murray

> Murray Altheim <murray07 at altheim.com>
> ===  = =
> http://www.altheim.com/murray/
> = =  ===
> SGML Grease Monkey, Banjo Player, Wantanabe Zen Monk
> = =  = =
>
>       Boundless wind and moon - the eye within eyes,
>       Inexhaustible heaven and earth - the light beyond light,
>       The willow dark, the flower bright - ten thousand houses,
>       Knock at any door - there's one who will respond.
>                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Patch procedures

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Yes, "diff -Naur" is the equivalent command-lineish for Eclipse's
Create Patch.  However, it's recommended that you make it from the
top-level directory, so that the patch doesn't have strange paths like

+++myfile.java
----my_checkout_1234/src/com/ecyrd/jspwiki/myfile.java

As this tends to create a bit of confusion when patching.

It would be awesome if someone documented this somewhere on
jspwiki.org - there's a ContributingChanges page which already
contains some guidelines, but they could be cleared and clarified a bit.

http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ContributingChanges

/Janne

Re: Patch procedures

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.

Re: Patch procedures

Posted by Dave Wolf <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Murray,

If you're using Eclipse and have JSPWiki project checked out from CVS you
can create a patch quite easily...

1) Right-click on the project
2) Select Team->Create Patch...
3) Provide a name for the patch file.
4) Select the files / lines to be included in the patch.
5) Create the patch file and upload to the appropriate JIRA issue.

hope this helps,

Dave

--
Dave Wolf
H: 303-377-9537

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Re: Patch procedures

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.

Re: Patch procedures