Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Erez Hadad <ER...@il.ibm.com> on 2019/02/19 11:03:43 UTC

Proposing a new performance benchmark tool for OpenWhisk - overhead

Hi folks,

I'm seeking feedback on a new performance benchmark tool called overhead,
that I'm proposing for OpenWhisk. This tool contains several new
capabilities beyond exiting tools (wrk/gatling), such as benchmarking
rules (trigger-to-action) in addition to action invocations (sync and
async), deeper profiling without special setup/instrumentation (Kamino),
based on timestamps from the activation records, and more. Please have a
look at the README.md for details.

https://github.com/IBM/overhead

Please review, use the tool, and comment - I'd like to contribute this
tool to the OW repo.

Regards,
-- Erez

Erez Hadad, PhD
Cloud System Technologies
IBM Research - Haifa
email: erezh@il.ibm.com
phone: +972-4-829-6509

Re: Proposing a new performance benchmark tool for OpenWhisk - overhead

Posted by Erez Hadad <ER...@il.ibm.com>.
Hi Rodric,

Yes. I became aware of this issue when I read through OW code to map the
activation timestamps to actual code stages. It's good to know that it's
also documented.

Regards,
-- Erez

Erez Hadad, PhD
Cloud System Technologies
IBM Research - Haifa
email: erezh@il.ibm.com
phone: +972-4-829-6509

From:   Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   20/02/2019 20:19
Subject:        Re: Proposing a new performance benchmark tool for
OpenWhisk - overhead

Erez, thanks for sharing the demo today. Really neat. You might know about
this issue already which is relevant given the project you mentioned
around rules and their performance.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dopenwhisk_issues_2614&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=Oo9B0p_tCCWIIum5GpjjqA&m=8USWzgpVr-6bs5sUC_VBVzWdDeS8a1TXjCkwTAG0pu0&s=BPJm6LCDJctatfygqYGcQKOErdmJPLA9tOM8E_lOLuM&e=

-r

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_IBM_overhead&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=Oo9B0p_tCCWIIum5GpjjqA&m=8USWzgpVr-6bs5sUC_VBVzWdDeS8a1TXjCkwTAG0pu0&s=GlefpRYfckmFH6rDPuybLgk65iCQPKoJMmNJ_izYTeM&e=

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/2614