Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2015/12/05 03:21:19 UTC

New repository and mailing list

Repository:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy

Mailing list:

commits@whimsical.apache.org

---

We are blazing a new trail, so don't be surprised if things are broken
(example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10899).

Whimsy committers will need to associate their github ID with their
apache ID using the following tool:

https://matt.apache.org/

Note: for added security, you will also need to enable two factor
authentication:

https://help.github.com/articles/about-two-factor-authentication/

I'm not sure what works yet, and what doesn't, but I encourage
committers to start using this repository and we'll work out the kinks
together.

---

At the present time, an ASF infrastructure hosted clone is NOT
available.  It may be a few weeks before that is set up.  Nor is any
form of autodeployment (gitpubsub or equivalent) set up.  Over time, I
also plan to merge other repositories (e.g. the board agenda tool) into
this repository.

- Sam Ruby

Re: New repository and mailing list

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Dec 8, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>>> The SVN repo is still present at
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy
>>>
>>> Is that going to disappear, or can we still udpate that?
>
> That copy is now out of date.
>
>> PLEASE KEEP!! I don't want to be forced to use git. The whole idea
>> is to make it easy for developers, right? And there are a bunch
>> that are comfortable w/ svn.
>>
>> If we provide git functionality for svn-based projects, we should
>> also provide svn access for git-based ones.
>
> GitHub provides svn access[1].  Try it out:
>
> svn checkout https://github.com/apache/whimsy

Have no write permissions...

Re: New repository and mailing list

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 8, 2015, at 4:14 PM, Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> wrote:

>>> Should be read/write since May of 2010:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support
>>> https://github.com/blog/1178-collaborating-on-github-with-subversion
>>>
>>> I note that:
>>>
>>> 1) you are not listed as a committer in LDAP for whimsy
>>>
>>> 2) you have not associated your githubUsername with your ASF account;
>>> that would be done using https://matt.apache.org/
>>
>> I tried this tool. Signed into my Apache account. Signed into my github account.
>>
>> Seems that to use this, extra authentication is needed on my github account.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> This affects everything I do with github. ???
>>
>> Craig
>
> Yeah. All about making things easier for the developer...
>
> As long as you drink the kool-aid.
>
> In any case, it doesn't matter. We ALL know that this "experiment"
> is gonna be successful :)

It is way to early to say, but at the moment, the only developer who
has pushed a change to GitHub is one who is equally OK with either a
git repository hosted by the ASF with an GitHub mirror, or with a
subversion repository - other than a preference over GitHub's UI over
viewvc's UI.

If this experiment does not attract contributors (which does not
require multi-factor authentication) and no committer other than
myself uses GitHub, then I would be inclined to conclude that the
experiment was at best inconclusive, and at worst a failure.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
So at issue is that we have no insight into the auth mechanisms at
Github. We can't tell if someone has tried to authenticate one time
and was successful, or only successful after 500 attempts.

Meanwhile we would lock an account out, and even block the entire IP
range for a similar behavior, but we have no clue what's going on in
these cases otherwise.

It also means we get a bonus benefit of not relying on passwords for
commit access, and having a really robust authentication scheme - (
people who have MFA enabled choose to add a SSH key to allow commits
sans passwords via ssh as opposed to https)

Github sets a cookie for 30 or 45 days once you' have authenticated
successfully the first time with MFA, you generally don't need to use
MFA again for a month or so, unless you are using a public computer.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That copy is now out of date.

>>> GitHub provides svn access[1].  Try it out:
>>>
>>> svn checkout https://github.com/apache/whimsy
>>
>> Just checked - seems it's read-only.
>
> Should be read/write since May of 2010:
>
> https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support
> https://github.com/blog/1178-collaborating-on-github-with-subversion
>
> I note that:
>
> 1) you are not listed as a committer in LDAP for whimsy
>
> 2) you have not associated your githubUsername with your ASF account;
> that would be done using https://matt.apache.org/

I've now successfully made a commit using the svn interface:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/efa7ffbba86b9d6e4b497f7c3f7a8e35d32dc346

Notes: an access token is required:

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-an-access-token-for-command-line-use/

You may want to configure how svn stores your credentials:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.serverconfig.netmodel.html#svn.serverconfig.netmodel.creds

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 December 2015 at 20:15, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That copy is now out of date.

>>> GitHub provides svn access[1].  Try it out:
>>>
>>> svn checkout https://github.com/apache/whimsy
>>
>> Just checked - seems it's read-only.
>
> Should be read/write since May of 2010:
>
> https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support
> https://github.com/blog/1178-collaborating-on-github-with-subversion
>
> I note that:
>
> 1) you are not listed as a committer in LDAP for whimsy

I've fixed that.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 December 2015 at 15:50, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

>>> The SVN repo is still present at
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy
>>>
>>> Is that going to disappear, or can we still udpate that?
>
> That copy is now out of date.

In which case it needs to be marked read-only, and a README file added
to say where the code now resides.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 5 December 2015 at 02:21, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> Repository:
>
> https://github.com/apache/whimsy

The SVN repo is still present at

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy

Is that going to disappear, or can we still udpate that?

Note: if it does disappear, the DOAP file URL will have to be changed
in projects.a.o.

What about the website for the TLP?
Will that be in SVN or Git?

> Mailing list:
>
> commits@whimsical.apache.org
>
> ---
>
> We are blazing a new trail, so don't be surprised if things are broken
> (example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10899).

That does not seem to be anything to do with trailblazing ... and it
appears to have been fixed.