Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Hendy Irawan <he...@soluvas.com> on 2013/07/26 12:01:56 UTC

[Wicket7] Core support for server-side push/WebSocket via Atmosphere

I kindly wonder if there could be plans to make push/Atmosphere/WebSocket
more "first class" in Wicket 7 than 6. Since we've been using
wicket-atmosphere quite intensively in a few projects.

Since Servlet 3.0 is minimum anyway, which means at least Comet (and
hopefully WebSocket) is supported on all containers that runs Wicket 7. In
theory this means atmosphere configuration in Wicket 7 is uniform
(container-independent).

Upgrading to atmosphere 2.0 (currently pre-release) will be one way.

Using Atmosphere with Wicket *and* Shiro (as of 6.9.1) requires coding an
AtmosphereHandler manually. This configuration can be simplified or the
appropriate handler provided by Wicket.

HttpsMapper as of 6.9.1 didn't recognize WebSocket. All around compatibility
between Wicket's SSL and Atmosphere support can be improved.

During my usage I filed several tickets about wicket/atmosphere :

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5279
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5282
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5280
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5281
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5134
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5200
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5135

probably others

Hendy

Re: [Wicket7] Core support for server-side push/WebSocket via Atmosphere

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
On Friday 26 July 2013 15:02:08 Martin Grigorov wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Hendy Irawan <he...@soluvas.com>
wrote:
> > Thanks Martin.
> >
> > In short, Jean-Francois Arcand delayed Atmosphere 1.1 into 2.0 and
it's
> > probably breaking compatibility with 1.0.
> >

> > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/atmosphere-framework/1
> > d2Qu7f1rYo
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/atmosphere-framework/2.0/atmosp
> > here-framework/blwCZUxLKZA/sZqclpGwDGAJ
> >
> > Atmosphere 2.0.RC2 will be released tomorrow.
> >
> > (Note to self:) propose Wicket 7 WebApplication to initialize a built-in
> > AtmosphereEventBus. So @Subscribe is directly usable out-of-the-box
> > without
> > additional config.
>
> I don't use Wicket Atmosphere in any app so I don't have much
experience
> with it but I think the config is required by Atmosphere, not by Wicket.

You are right, the only config needed by Wicket is the creation and
registration of the event bus. It might be possible to move the Atmosphere
configuration files to wicket-atmosphere, but that would probably make it
impossible to provide custom Atmosphere configuration.

> > So yeah I would love to see wicket-atmosphere merged into wicket
core :)

> Wicket Atmosphere is not very well maintained.
> Emond has no much time for Open Source development lately. And I
think no
> one else from core team uses it in their apps.
> But Wicket-Atmosphere won't be merged in to core. It may go out of
> experimental mode, but not merged into core.

Wicket-atmosphere will never be merged into core. Only dependency free
code will be put in core; code that only uses the servlet spec. Perhaps,
someday, Atmosphere itself will become redundant and we can put push
support in core, but not yet.

> > Re: the issue quickstarts, coming soon in shaa Allah :)
>
> Tickets with quickstarts have much higher chance to be resolved sooner
than
> ones without quickstart app attached ;-)

Tickets with pull requests are even more likely to be resolved soon :) As
Martin said, my time on Wicket is very limited. I'll take a look at the tickets
today, but I can't promise anything. I strive to merge pull requests within a
few days though (if they are any good that is :) ).

Best regards,
Emond

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Hendy Irawan <he...@soluvas.com> wrote:

> I kindly wonder if there could be plans to make push/Atmosphere/WebSocket
> more "first class" in Wicket 7 than 6. Since we've been using
> wicket-atmosphere quite intensively in a few projects.
>
> Since Servlet 3.0 is minimum anyway, which means at least Comet (and
> hopefully WebSocket) is supported on all containers that runs Wicket 7. In
> theory this means atmosphere configuration in Wicket 7 is uniform
> (container-independent).
>
> Upgrading to atmosphere 2.0 (currently pre-release) will be one way.

What are the new things in 2.0 ?
Do you have a link to Atmosphere roadmap for 2.0 (ex 1.1) ?

> Using Atmosphere with Wicket *and* Shiro (as of 6.9.1) requires coding an
> AtmosphereHandler manually. This configuration can be simplified or the
> appropriate handler provided by Wicket.

Contributions are welcome!

> HttpsMapper as of 6.9.1 didn't recognize WebSocket. All around
> compatibility
> between Wicket's SSL and Atmosphere support can be improved.

I have asked you for quickstart application for this problem and some of
the others below.