Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/13 21:20:32 UTC

Re: help, org.mortbay.log.Log messages not showing up in the slf4j logfile

Hi Kaveh,
OK, just as a side note, I have not used much of the Mortbay logging. I
usually use Slf4j over Log4j.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM, <de...@gora.apache.org> wrote:

> help, org.mortbay.log.Log  messages not showing up in the slf4j logfile
>         6242 by: kaveh minooie
>
> I am trying to log some debug information in codes that are in gora-core.

Anything in particular? Counters perhanps? Can you provide an example?

> the source code is using org.mortbay.log.Log class,

You mean that your client code is using this class right?

> and by that I mean that is the only thing that is imported. the jetty docs
> says that it should pick slf4j from classpath without any other
> configuration, but when I use the Log object to log, I dont't see those
> messages in the log file. to be clear I can see all the messages that I am
> generating in gora-cassandra and other places but not the ones from
> gora-core. also in log4j.properties I do have this line:
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache.gora=DEBUG
>
> any help would be really appreciated,

Can you please check that this file [0] or another one like it is not being
found on the classpath first?

[0]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=gora.git;a=blob_plain;f=conf/log4j.properties;hb=master

Re: help, org.mortbay.log.Log messages not showing up in the slf4j logfile

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.
Hi lewis

thanks for answering. I am an idiot. I had this line:

import org.mortbay.log.Log;

in
gora/gora-core/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/mapreduce/GoraInputFormat.java

which turned out was added by eclipse because I spelled LOG, Log at some
point. I fixed that. slf4j is working fine.

But the actual issue turned out to be that when I try to compile
gora-cassandra maven goes and fetch gora-core from maven repository and
doesn't use my gora-core :)

I am guessing this might not be an issue if I build the entire gora, but
I guess for that I have to add the entire gora as dependency for nutch
and not just gora-cassandra. I finally was able the run the entire nutch
and gora-cassandra in eclipse just recently, and I don't want to screw
that up for now.

And since then, I located the problem that I was having and it is in
gora-cassandra anyway, so I guess I am good for now.

thank you thou,

P.S. I know you are busy, but I really appreciate it if you could have a
look at the patch I posted for GORA-328, cause if I am right then
gore-cassandra is totally broken as it is.

On 06/13/2014 12:20 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Anything in particular? Counters perhanps? Can you provide an example?

No I was just trying to check to see the actual parameters that end up
being passed to map job are the ones that I think they should be, and
that code is in gora-core

--
Kaveh Minooie