Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/02/17 09:28:24 UTC

Simplified build

I think I have finally gotten our maven the way we want... simple.

After a cvs update or fresh checkout, this is what you need to do to
build:

$ maven
$ maven run:server

Thats it.

Now I only tested this on my apple, so if it doesn't work for you,
please include your os and java version in the post.  Also, make sure
you are using maven rc1.

If you have built Geronimo before, there will be cruft in your local
maven repository, so I suggest you either move it to a backup location,
or just delete it.  Maven also likes to stick the plugin jars in the
"plugins" directory under in the installed maven directory, and I
suggest you remove the cruft from there also.  Basically, I just search
for anything named "geronimo*" under ~/.maven and
~/maven-1.0-rc1/plugins on my apple (of course the location will be
different on Windows).

Details
=======
I converted the assembly directory into a module at
<root>modules/assembly.  The assembly module creates out output
distribution at <root>/target.  To start the server you can use "maven
run:server" or "maven debug:server", but using maven to start the
server disables the our shutdown hooks.  This means that out normal
clean-up code will not run, which not currently critical, but will
become critical over time.  The best way to start the server is using
java directly at the command line as follows:

$ java -jar target/bin/server.jar target/config-store
org/apache/geronimo/System org/apache/geronimo/Server

One thing to note is we no longer need the geronimo.base.dir system
variable.  The SystemInfo gbean can now locate the base directory
automatically.  I hope to get rid of the rest of standard
command-line-arguments soon.

We also no longer need the separate "maven plugins" step, as the
plugins are fully incorporated into the main build process.  The trick
to eliminating this step, was to not run the plugin:install task from
build.  Instead, we build a normal jar using jar:jar, and then
explicitly copy that jar to geronimo/plugins/abcd.jar.  A module that
needs to use the xmlbeans plugins only has to include the following
dependancy:

<dependency>
     <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
     <artifactId>geronimo-xmlbeans-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>DEV</version>
     <type>plugin</type>
</dependency>

Apparently, when the type is "plugin" maven automatically installs and
loads that plugin.

Good luck everyone,

-dain

/*************************
  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network
  *************************/

RE: Simplified build -- but cannot access the Web-Console

Posted by David Farb <dm...@earthlink.net>.
Thanks;

I also removed all of the maven repository, did a complete checkout (cvs co)
and a maven, followed by a maven run:server. Everything worked fine on a
Windows 2000 system except I have the same problem in the web-console. And
not enought time to look at it.

Thanks again for all the work;
David Farb

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:28:03 GMT

Re: Simplified build

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.
Patrick Mueller wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> I think I have finally gotten our maven the way we want... simple.
>

> Excellent.  And I've love to check it out.  But I can't because of the
> empty 'cvs' directory in the project root (or, "won't" is better than
> "can't", I suppose, since it's a hassle to deal with).
>
> Hate to be annoying, but I will be.  I assume a committer can just ssh
> in to delete it, no?  Or shall I track down some Apache admin to help
> with this?

It is possible to just ssh in and delete it but we are very wary of
making any such direct modification to cvs - the last time someone did,
cvs access was shut off which is even more inconvenient. I have already
asked for an Apache Member or IPMC member to remove the directory so we
are just waiting.

Apologies for the delay.

--
Jeremy

Re: Simplified build

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@yahoo.com>.

pmuellr@yahoo.com

Re: Simplified build

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> I would guess we do not like spaces in paths ...

This should now be fixed.

I changed the semantic of ServerInfo so that it does not automatically
create directories as a side effect of startup or resolution - this
should now be performed by the client code. The FileAppender has been
updated for this change.

--
Jeremy

Re: Simplified build

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.
I would guess we do not like spaces in paths ...

 >     [java] Caused by: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character
in path
 > at index 12: /C:/geronimo dev/incubator-geronimo/target//.
 >     [java]      at java.net.URI$Parser.fail(URI.java:2752)
 >     [java]      at java.net.URI$Parser.checkChars(URI.java:2925)
 >     [java]      at java.net.URI$Parser.parseHierarchical(URI.java:3009)
 >     [java]      at java.net.URI$Parser.parse(URI.java:2967)
 >     [java]      at java.net.URI.<init>(URI.java:574)
 >     [java]      at

org.apache.geronimo.system.serverinfo.ServerInfo.resolvePath(ServerInfo.java

--
Jeremy

Re: Simplified build

Posted by A Carbone <ac...@hotmail.com>.
whoops sorry I'm running

windows XP
java jsdk 1.4.2

adam
Posted by A Carbone <ac...@hotmail.com>.
dain I seem to be having a problem doing this.
I have a fresh build, from cvs

ran the build had some test problems(other emails) but other then that ran
fine
then I tried to

maven run:server and the following happens

Is there some config that I'm missing? sounds that way cuase other peopel
don't seem to be having this problem, still learning though

Adam

C:\geronimo dev\incubator-geronimo>maven run:server
 __  __
> [...]

verInterceptor.java:121)
    [java]      at
mx4j.server.interceptor.SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(SecurityMBeanS
erverInterceptor.java:86)
    [java]      at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanSer
verInterceptor.java:121)
    [java]      at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanSer
verInterceptor.java:121)
    [java]      at
mx4j.server.interceptor.ContextClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(Cont
extClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.java:205)
    [java]      at
mx4j.server.MX4JMBeanServer.invoke(MX4JMBeanServer.java:1077)
    [java]      at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.Kernel.startRecursiveGBean(Kernel.java:391)
    [java]      ... 1 more

Re: AW: Simplified build

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Martin Kastner wrote:
> It does not work on my site.
>
> SDK: SUN Java 2 Version 1.4.2_03
> System: Windows XP
> Maven: RC1
> Last CVS Update: today [17.Feb]
> Message: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>          com/werken/forehead/Forehead

Hi,

Quite the contrary, it works well on my site, which is pretty alike to
yours:

Java SDK: Sun java version "1.4.2_03"
System: Windows 2000 + CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.5.7(0.109/3/2) 2004-01-30 19:32
Maven: v. 1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT
Last CVS update: today [Feb, 17th]
Message:
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 13 minutes 8 seconds
Finished at: Tue Feb 17 14:05:03 CET 2004

Please send more information on the issue, i.e. the full stack trace and
   its context.

> MARTIN

Best,
Jacek