Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by aldana <al...@gmx.de> on 2009/06/28 18:33:30 UTC

plans for switching to maven2 (after 1.4 release)?

hi,

are there plans to migrate from ant to maven2? maybe not for the current
trunk (mainline for 1.4), but maybe for the trunk after releasing solr 1.4.
it makes the build more standard and easier to import to IDEs.

-----
manuel aldana
aldana((at))gmx.de
software-engineering blog: http://www.aldana-online.de

Re: plans for switching to maven2 (after 1.4 release)?

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.
my -1 for a a maven only build system. Building has not been a problem
for me with Solr.

+0 to add a pom.xml as a parallel setup

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jun 29, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> I converted Mahout to Maven and it was a pain.

I'd add, however, that now that it is done, it is fine, except of
course, that Maven 2.1.0 doesn't work with it apparently because of
upgrades.

Re: plans for switching to maven2 (after 1.4 release)?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Fergus McMenemie <fe...@twig.me.uk> wrote:

> I have not used Maven much but we seemed to have tons of bother
> setting it up on nodes which had no internet access. In fact I
> can state is was the key reason we did not move to cocoon 2.x.

You can setup an internal repository mirror (which is strongly recommended)
and use a organization wide parent POM which points to this repository. This
is what we do at AOL.

Coming back to the original topic, I think it is a lot of work setting up
maven to work correctly for the current project structure. Unless everybody
agrees to change that, we should just stick with Ant. No use maintaining two
build systems. We're pushing artifacts to the official repository so the
most common ask by users is covered.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: plans for switching to maven2 (after 1.4 release)?

Posted by Fergus McMenemie <fe...@twig.me.uk>.
>FWIW
>I strongly agree with your sentiments, Manual.
>One of the neat maven features that isn't well known is just being able to do "mvn jetty:run" and have Jetty load up right away (no creating of a web-app directory or packaging of a war or anything like that).
>What I hate about ant based projects is that each ant file is yet another build script to figure out.  That and dealing with .jar's of course.
>
>Yeah, maven can be annoying at times.

I have not used Maven much but we seemed to have tons of bother
setting it up on nodes which had no internet access. In fact I
can state is was the key reason we did not move to cocoon 2.x.

Fergus.

Re: plans for switching to maven2 (after 1.4 release)?

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Smiley, David W.<ds...@mitre.org> wrote:
> FWIW
> I strongly agree with your sentiments, Manual.
> One of the neat maven features that isn't well known is just being able to do "mvn jetty:run" and have Jetty load up right away (no creating of a web-app directory or packaging of a war or anything like that).
> What I hate about ant based projects is that each ant file is yet another build script to figure out.  That and dealing with .jar's of course.

Most of the users do not need to worry about the build xml as long as
they know which target to run.

Grant Ingersoll schrieb:
> I'm not particularly opposed to it, but I'm not exactly for it
> either.  I very much have a love hate relationship with Maven.  The
> simple things work fine w/ Maven and the power of pointing Eclipse or
> IntelliJ at a POM file and having the whole project imported and ready
> to work on w/o one iota of setup is something that the proponents of
> Ant just don't get, especially when it comes to multiple module builds
> like Solr and Lucene have.    That being said, there are a lot of
> headaches with Maven, number one being releases, number two being
> anything custom and number three being the constant instability of the
> magic happening behind the scenes with it upgrading dependencies, etc.
> automatically.  Finally, I've always had a hard time getting help in
> Maven land.  It always seemed to me the number of incoming questions
> outweighed the number of answers about 10 to 1.
>
> I converted Mahout to Maven and it was a pain.  I also use Maven for
> personal development as well.  It is much easier to start fresh on
> Maven than it is to add it in later.  And, there is something to be
> said for the Maven Ant plugin, but even that is clunky.
>
> In the end, I think I'd be +0 on it.  It's also come up in the past on
> the lists and there never is a clear consensus.
>
> -Grant
>
> On Jun 28, 2009, at 12:33 PM, aldana wrote:
>

>> hi,
>>
>> are there plans to migrate from ant to maven2? maybe not for the current
>> trunk (mainline for 1.4), but maybe for the trunk after releasing
>> solr 1.4.
>> it makes the build more standard and easier to import to IDEs.
>>
>> -----
>> manuel aldana
>> aldana((at))gmx.de
>> software-engineering blog: http://www.aldana-online.de
>> --

 manuel aldana
 aldana@gmx.de

Posted by manuel aldana <al...@gmx.de>.

Grant Ingersoll schrieb:
> I'm not particularly opposed to it, but I'm not exactly for it
> either.  I very much have a love hate relationship with Maven.  The
> simple things work fine w/ Maven and the power of pointing Eclipse or
> IntelliJ at a POM file and having the whole project imported and ready
> to work on w/o one iota of setup is something that the proponents of
> Ant just don't get, especially when it comes to multiple module builds
> like Solr and Lucene have.    That being said, there are a lot of
> headaches with Maven, number one being releases, number two being
> anything custom and number three being the constant instability of the
> magic happening behind the scenes with it upgrading dependencies, etc.
> automatically.  Finally, I've always had a hard time getting help in
> Maven land.  It always seemed to me the number of incoming questions
> outweighed the number of answers about 10 to 1.
>
> I converted Mahout to Maven and it was a pain.  I also use Maven for
> personal development as well.  It is much easier to start fresh on
> Maven than it is to add it in later.  And, there is something to be
> said for the Maven Ant plugin, but even that is clunky.
>
> In the end, I think I'd be +0 on it.  It's also come up in the past on
> the lists and there never is a clear consensus.
>
> -Grant
>
> On Jun 28, 2009, at 12:33 PM, aldana wrote:
>

>> hi,
>>
>> are there plans to migrate from ant to maven2? maybe not for the current
>> trunk (mainline for 1.4), but maybe for the trunk after releasing
>> solr 1.4.
>> it makes the build more standard and easier to import to IDEs.
>>
>> -----
>> manuel aldana
>> aldana((at))gmx.de
>> software-engineering blog: http://www.aldana-online.de