Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Rafal Korytkowski <rk...@redhat.com> on 2018/06/15 10:48:26 UTC

Teiid Camel component

Hi,

We're considering implementing a Camel component for Teiid (http://teiid.io/)
and looking for your insights on some design aspects and general thoughts.

Teiid is a data virtualization engine that comes as in-place real-time
integration of heterogeneous data sources (~50). Teiid exposes them through
a SQL engine and ODATA REST endpoints. It is typically run as a server
being accessed by SQL clients.

Data sources supported by Teiid are pretty much a subset of what Camel
already supports, but the benefit we see is that it provides the SQL engine
to access them all in a unified way, which makes integrations more
straightforward than using custom APIs.

It is currently possible to use the sql-camel/jdbc-camel component to
connect to a running Teiid instance, but we are looking for a tighter
integration by providing a way to embed the Teiid engine in a Camel
component. It would simplify its usage.

Would you have any recommendations for writing such a component?

One aspect we need to consider is, if it would be possible to reuse somehow
an instance of Teiid within a route or across routes or share some of
Teiid's metadata so that we do not have to bring up an instance each time.

Finally, we have just started a similar conversion on the Teiid forum so,
if you are interested please also see
https://developer.jboss.org/thread/278138
--

-Rafał

Re: Re: Teiid Camel component

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Nice work!  I tend to think lets just do the new teiid component.  It keep
> things more focused for things like the generated meta data for the SQL and
> Teiid components.

Yeah I also think its best to keep it in a new camel-teiid component.
You can still extend camel-sql, which we do for example in camel-elsql.

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Re: Teiid Camel component