Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2008/02/27 05:31:25 UTC

Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

+1

Woden has also discussed a move to Java 5 and the dev team was in favour
of this move. As Axis2 depends on Woden we cannot consider this move
unless Axis2 also moves.

Lawrence

Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>
02/26/2008 11:15 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

"axis-dev@ws.apache.org" <ax...@ws.apache.org>,
"axis-user@ws.apache.org" <ax...@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject
[Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

Hi all ,

As you might remember few months back Glen asked the list about moving
to JDK 1.5 and I think we got very positive feedback. So I thought of
asking again and change the code to work with JDK 1.5 . The main reason
behind sending this mail is due the dependency we have for annogen. As I
can see that project is dead one and there is no development happening
so I do not think it is a good idea to depend on such a project. In the
meantime we have few issues with annogen as well ,first  inner class
problem (I have locally fixed that both in Axis2 and Annogen will commit
soon) , second is the final class problem. I request a release from
annogen after the changes that Dims did , but we did not get any reply
so far.

We all know that we get better annotation support from JDK 1.5 so if we
move to JDK 1.5 we can get rid of the annogen dependency and we can just
use JDK for annotation processing.  Other problem is generic support ,
if we move to JDK 1.5 we can have generic support in our POJOs.  In
addition to POJO we can get better concurrent support in JDK 1.5 as well.

So if we move to JDK 1.5 we can get better support , and I do not think
any advantage of staying in 1.4 . If some user want to use Axis2 in JDK
1.4 they can happily use Axis2 1.3 , which is very stable version and
working fine in 1.4 and 1.5.

If any user or developers have any concern on moving to JDK 1.5 please
come forward and reply to this mail that will be very helpful for all of
us.

Here is my +1 for moving to JDK 1.5 to and release Axis2 1.4 in JDK 1.5

Thank you,
Deepal

Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Are there critical things that you see in Axis2 1.4 which would be
necessary for JDK 1.4 users? If so I can agree with you otherwise I think
its time to move on from JDK 1.4 ..

Sanjiva.

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

I am torn!...so +0 for the proposal.

thanks,
dims

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1to move to jdk 1.5.

wrote:

> +1
>
> Woden has also discussed a move to Java 5 and the dev team was in favour
> of this move. As Axis2 depends on Woden we cannot consider this move
> unless Axis2 also moves.
>
> Lawrence
>

> Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>
> 02/26/2008 11:15 PM
> Please respond to
> axis-dev@ws.apache.org

> "axis-dev@ws.apache.org" <ax...@ws.apache.org>,
> "axis-user@ws.apache.org" <ax...@ws.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5
>

> Hi all ,
>
> As you might remember few months back Glen asked the list about moving
> to JDK 1.5 and I think we got very positive feedback. So I thought of
> asking again and change the code to work with JDK 1.5 . The main reason
> behind sending this mail is due the dependency we have for annogen. As I
> can see that project is dead one and there is no development happening
> so I do not think it is a good idea to depend on such a project. In the
> meantime we have few issues with annogen as well ,first  inner class
> problem (I have locally fixed that both in Axis2 and Annogen will commit
> soon) , second is the final class problem. I request a release from
> annogen after the changes that Dims did , but we did not get any reply
> so far.
>
> We all know that we get better annotation support from JDK 1.5 so if we
> move to JDK 1.5 we can get rid of the annogen dependency and we can just
> use JDK for annotation processing.  Other problem is generic support ,
> if we move to JDK 1.5 we can have generic support in our POJOs.  In
> addition to POJO we can get better concurrent support in JDK 1.5 as well.
>
> So if we move to JDK 1.5 we can get better support , and I do not think
> any advantage of staying in 1.4 . If some user want to use Axis2 in JDK
> 1.4 they can happily use Axis2 1.3 , which is very stable version and
> working fine in 1.4 and 1.5.
>
> If any user or developers have any concern on moving to JDK 1.5 please
> come forward and reply to this mail that will be very helpful for all of
> us.
>
> Here is my +1 for moving to JDK 1.5 to and release Axis2 1.4 in JDK 1.5
>
> Thank you,
> Deepal

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

I'd be happy to see this work progress in a branch. John and I are
currently tied up working on the WSDL 2.0 assertions and have some other
pending work to simplify the Woden model. If you have some time to
investigate please feel free to create a Java5 branch.

Lawrence

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
02/27/2008 10:11 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5

It would be good to investigate what we can do to improve the API
given that we can use Java 5 features such as generics. How about a
branch for that so that we can be as ready as possible when/if Axis2
make the switch.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,

OK. In principle, I think Java 5 has been around so long that most people
would be on it, but unless we are actually getting some benefit from it,
then we may as well stay on Java 1.4 in order to maximize the potential
number of users.

-- Arthur

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com>.