Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by pfreed <pf...@gfatech.com> on 2017/04/18 17:58:12 UTC

RE: activeMQ topics via rest - missing messages

I am curious about your recommendation not use use REST in production, and
your comment "REST can lead to dropped messages."  ActiveMQ has seen a lot
of growth in the last few years; I'm wondering if the situation has changed
since then.

Here's some background about my use case:
I represent a vendor that has a working REST interface with our client.
It's not high volume; we have thousands of messages a day -- most are a
smaller than 1 KB.

Since their software is Camel-based, I recommended that they communicate
with our software via ActiveMQ (for improved reliability).  They have
advised me that REST won't work (or won't work well) for this, and that we
need to add JMS capabilities to our software so that I can subscribe
directly to their queues.

I have a basic understanding of MQ, though I have not used it.  But it seems
to me that ActiveMQ is a lot less flexible than I had thought if this is
indeed the case.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this.  Is there some way to reliably
use ActiveMQ via REST?

Thanks much.