Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dhananjay Naniwadekar <na...@globalsight.com> on 2000/09/26 22:15:47 UTC

perl installation on hpux : cc vs gcc

I am trying to install perl-5.6.0 on hpux.
It is choosing cc as the c compiler. I don't know why. If I install an
earlier version
of perl, it chooses gcc.
I have an env-variable named CC which is set to gcc .
My $PATH first lists the dir which contains "gcc" executable, and then the
dir which contains "cc" executable. e.g; my gcc is in /opt/gcc/bin ; my cc
is in /usr/bin,
my $PATH is "........:/opt/gcc/bin:....:/usr/bin:......."

Any idea why perl installation chooses cc as the c compiler?

Another Q is if I override the default of cc and set gcc as compiler
instead, I am getting errors.
My setting are :
cc flags : -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Aa -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include
ld flags : -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings -L/usr/local/lib

The error I get is :
*Initialization*:1: missing token-sequence in `#assert'
I can't compile the test program.
(The supplied flags or libraries might be incorrect.)

You have a BIG problem.  Shall I abort Configure [y]

Please advise.

- nani (Dhananjay Naniwadekar)

Re: perl installation on hpux : cc vs gcc

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Dhananjay Naniwadekar wrote:

> I am trying to install perl-5.6.0 on hpux.
> It is choosing cc as the c compiler. I don't know why. If I install an
> earlier version
> of perl, it chooses gcc.
> I have an env-variable named CC which is set to gcc .

try Configure -Dcc=gcc

RE: perl installation on hpux : cc vs gcc

Posted by Christian Gilmore <Ch...@tivoli.com>.
This question is fairly off-topic for this list. It would help debugging
your problem if you give the exact method with which you ran Configure.

Regards,
Christian