Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> on 2006/06/03 03:28:45 UTC

New copyright header policy

During the last ASF Board meeting, a resolution was passed to require
a different licensing header in source files plus requirements for
copyright notices.  PMCs are not required to make any changes to past
releases, but must apply these new rules to all distributions
released on or after August 1, 2006.

Before I send this out to committers@, I thought I'd start by sending
it here to collect and answer any FAQ-type questions.  So, here's the
new policy; hit me with any questions you have.

Thanks,
Cliff

--- New copyright notice and source header policy ---

A. THIRD-PARTY COPYRIGHT NOTICES AND LICENSES
   0. The term "third-party work" refers to a work not submitted
directly to the ASF by the copyright owner or owner's agent.
   1. Do not modify or remove any copyright notices or licenses
within third-party works.
   2. Do not add the standard Apache License header to the top of any
third-party source files.
   3. Minor modifications/additions to third-party source files
should typically be licensed under the same terms as the rest of the
source for convenience.
   4. Major modifications/additions to third-party should be dealt
with on a case-by-case basis by the PMC.

B. SOURCE FILE HEADERS
   0. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF
by the copyright owner or owner's agent.
   1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice
included in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
     a. remove such notices, or
     b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
project release, or
     c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal
or relocation of the notices.
   2. Each source file should include the following license header --
note that there should be no copyright notice in the header:

            Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
            or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
            distributed with this work for additional information
            regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
            to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
            "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
            with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

            Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
            software distributed under the License is distributed on an
            "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
            KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
            specific language governing permissions and limitations
            under the License.

C.  NOTICE FILE
   0. Every Apache distribution should include a NOTICE file in the
top directory, along with the standard LICENSE file
   1. The top of each NOTICE file should include the following text,
suitably modified to reflect the product name and year(s) of
distribution of the current and past versions of the product:

           Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
           Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

   2. The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
third-party notices.  The NOTICE file may also include copyright
notices moved from source files submitted to the ASF (see B.1.).

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.
On Jun 4, 2006, at 6:45 AM, Costin Manolache wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2006, at 11:10 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
>
> > On 6/3/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >           WHEREAS, the Foundation has observed that per-file
> > attribution
> >           of authorship does not promote collaborative development,
> >
> > That's why it's good to read every word in such a document ( and
> > probably why
> > there are so many word - to make it hard to find the important
> > stuff ).
> >
> > Are we back to removal of @author ?

<snip/>
> about this. Just wanted to make sure this 'legal' stuff is not
> reopening this issue
> or forcing a change in current practice ( where each project can
> chose to use
> or not the author lines )

The WHEREAS parts of a resolution are there to provide background
relevant to the actions taken (the RESOLVED parts).  The WHEREAS
clause you quoted is simply there to provide background for why the
new policy isn't having each contributor place a copyright line above
their contribution.

The policy I sent out to start this thread is all you need to worry
about; it covers every action taken by the resolution.  And, no one
was trying to bury an  important requirement in the many words of the
resolution.

Cliff

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@apache.org>.
On 6/4/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2006, at 11:10 PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
>
> > On 6/3/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >           WHEREAS, the Foundation has observed that per-file
> > attribution
> >           of authorship does not promote collaborative development,
> >
> > That's why it's good to read every word in such a document ( and
> > probably why
> > there are so many word - to make it hard to find the important
> > stuff ).
> >
> > Are we back to removal of @author ?
>
> No, it has nothing to do with that.  We are removing the ASF copyright
> line and nothing else.  That doesn't change the fact that author lines
> are dumb.

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding it, it was late and all the legal things tend
be confusing.

I don't want to argue if author lines are dumb or not - enough past flame
wars
about this. Just wanted to make sure this 'legal' stuff is not reopening
this issue
or forcing a change in current practice ( where each project can chose to
use
or not the author lines )

Costin

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.
On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> And moving it to the NOTICE file, AIUI.  Along with other copyright
>>> notices as applicable.
>
>> No.  We are moving the ASF copyright notice.  If someone or some
>> entity
>> wants us to move their own copyright line as well, then they can
>> ask us
>> to do so (or do it themselves if they have commit access).
>
> I meant that our goal is to have the copyright notices in the
> NOTICES file,
> not that we would move them without permission.
>
>> Leave [embedded copyright] as is, or add our license header above the
>> copyright line and remove the header below the copyright line,
>> leaving
>> the copyright line as is.
>
> So are we going to end up with a lot of files with:
>
> 	Copyright 2005 Every
> 	Copyright 2005 Tom
> 	Copyright 2006 Dick
> 	Copyright 2006 and
> 	Copyright 2007 Harry
> 	Copyright 2007 and their brothers
>
> with everyone EXCEPT for the ASF sticking their two cents in there?
> Copyright becomes the new @author tag?
>
> Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution,
> and not
> thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make
> decisions,
> but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
> copywrong.

Let me know if the policy I've written isn't clear about this, but
here's what it says -- and this part comes straight from the board
resolution:

 > B. SOURCE FILE HEADERS
 >    1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice
 > included in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
 >      a. remove such notices, or
 >      b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
 > project release, or
 >      c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal
 > or relocation of the notices.

There is no option for someone to leave the copyright notice where it
is for works submitted directly to the ASF.

Here are a few of the scenarios; tell me if the policy isn't clear
about this:
1. Don't move copyright notices for third-party works, including old
stuff and future stuff.
2. All ASF copyright notices will be removed from source files of
releases after July 31st, replaced with the ASF notice in the NOTICE
file.
3. We should not be accepting source files including a copyright
notice of the committer/contributor into a project.  We should reject
the contribution if one of the three options in section B.1 cannot be
taken.
4. If we find source files that are part of the code developed at
Apache (not third-party files) with copyright notices for some other
entity other than the ASF, leave it as is; or if you want, ask the
copyright owner to take one of the options above.  I don't think we
need to remove the existing file, and we shouldn't remove their
copyright notice.

Cliff

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution,
> and not
> thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make
> decisions,
> but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
> copywrong.

A PMC must vote to accept the contribution. The PMC can choose not to
accept the contribution based on anything it doesn't like.  If we make
a special rule based on all of the possible anti-social behaviors
that might lead to chaos, then our PMCs are never going to learn how
to govern themselves.  We only need ASF-wide rules for the things that
are required of the ASF as a whole.

....Roy

RE: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > > We are removing the ASF copyright line and nothing else.
> > And moving it to the NOTICE file, AIUI.  Along with other copyright
> > notices as applicable.

> No.  We are moving the ASF copyright notice.  If someone or some entity
> wants us to move their own copyright line as well, then they can ask us
> to do so (or do it themselves if they have commit access).

I meant that our goal is to have the copyright notices in the NOTICES file,
not that we would move them without permission.

> Leave [embedded copyright] as is, or add our license header above the
> copyright line and remove the header below the copyright line, leaving
> the copyright line as is.

So are we going to end up with a lot of files with:

	Copyright 2005 Every
	Copyright 2005 Tom
	Copyright 2006 Dick
	Copyright 2006 and
	Copyright 2007 Harry
	Copyright 2007 and their brothers

with everyone EXCEPT for the ASF sticking their two cents in there?
Copyright becomes the new @author tag?

Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution, and not
thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make decisions,
but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
copywrong.

	--- Noel

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jun 4, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> We are removing the ASF copyright line and nothing else.
>
> And moving it to the NOTICE file, AIUI.  Along with other copyright
> notices
> as applicable.

No.  We are moving the ASF copyright notice.  If someone or some entity
wants us to move their own copyright line as well, then they can ask us
to do so (or do it themselves if they have commit access).

> Separately, If we can no longer reach the person who posted a file
> with:
>
>  * Copyright [2005] <some author>
>
>  * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
>  * you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
>  * You may obtain a copy of the License at:
>  *
>  * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
> what are our options?

Leave it as is, or add our license header above the copyright line and

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Stephen McConnell ((DPML)) wrote:
> In addition to the above I would like to know the ASF position
> concerning
> potentially new contributions to the ASF associated to known and
> reachable
> contributors via existing copyright assertions who are unwilling to
> acquiesce to the removal of copyright statements from existing
> documents.

The law does not allow us to remove or alter the copyright notice
without the copyright owner's consent.  When new contributions are
made, the responsible PMC decides whether the contribution is in a
form that they deem acceptable, and either accepts it or rejects it.

....Roy

RE: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Stephen McConnell (DPML)" <mc...@apache.org>.

Cheers, Steve.

--------------------------
Stephen McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@dpml.net
http://www.dpml.net

RE: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On 6/3/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> wrote:

          WHEREAS, the Foundation has observed that per-file attribution
>           of authorship does not promote collaborative development,

That's why it's good to read every word in such a document ( and probably
why
there are so many word - to make it hard to find the important stuff ).

Are we back to removal of @author ?

Is there an option for existing work and contributions ( before this new
thing is adopted ) to either opt
out or request removal of someone's past contributions ? Also, is it
possible for someone to
opt out in future contributions, or the only choice is to stop contributing
to ASF ?

I think it is very unfair to accept contributions from someone under some
rules, and
then change the rules.

Maybe the foundation has observed that author attribution does not promote
collaborative
development - which a lot of people would argue is a bad observation - but I
would
say lack of author attribution - and removal of existing author attribution
- is considered
by some people as unethical ( to say the least ), and such action may result
in even less development.

My point is - even if this is legal, it doesn't mean it's right. Archives
probably have all the arguments
pro and against author attribution, and even if the board or a majority of
people want it remove
it still doesn't make it right or ethical (IMHO).

( sorry if I missintepreted this - but it's an issue I feel strongly about
and it was sneaked in in the past,
which makes it even worse )

Costin

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.
On Jun 3, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I am not arguing against this change, but speaking as someone who did
> the 1.1 to 2.0 licence change for Tomcat 4 I know this will deflect
> effort from other tasks and re-iterate my recommendation that the
> announcement of this requirement is accompanied by an explanation of
> why it needs to be done, and not just "because the board says so".

Hi Mark,

I see your point; I will add some explanation when I send it out to
committers@.

The short version is:  since contributors maintain their copyright
ownership in the works they submit, it is misleading to place the ASF
copyright at the top of each source file.  The ASF notice represented
the copyright ownership in the collective work of the entire
distribution, but placing it at the top of each source file was
causing a lot of confusion.

The actual resolution passed by the board includes a little
explanation for the issues that needed to be addressed in the WHEREAS
paragraphs.  Here's an unofficial copy (official minutes aren't out
just yet):

          WHEREAS, the copyright of contributions to The Apache
          Software Foundation remains with the contribution's owner(s),
          but the copyright of the collective work in each Foundation
          release is owned by the Foundation,

          WHEREAS, each file within a Foundation release often includes
          contributions from multiple copyright owners,

          WHEREAS, the Foundation has observed that per-file attribution
          of authorship does not promote collaborative development,

          WHEREAS, inclusion of works that have not been directly
          submitted by the copyright owners to the Foundation for
          development does not present the same collaborative
          development issues and does not allow the owners to consider
          the Foundation's copyright notice policies;

          NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that for the case of copyright
          notices in files contributed and licensed to The Apache
          Software Foundation, the copyright owner (or owner's agent)
          must either: remove such notices, move them to the NOTICE
          file associated with each applicable project release, or
          provide written permission for the Foundation to make such
          removal or relocation of the notices, and be it further

          RESOLVED, that each release shall include a NOTICE file for
          such copyright notices and other notices required to accompany
          the distribution, and be it further

          RESOLVED, that the NOTICE file shall begin with the following
          text, suitably modified to reflect the product name
          and year(s) of distribution of the current and past releases:

            Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
            Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

          and be it further

          RESOLVED, that files licensed to The Apache Software
          Foundation shall be labeled with the following notice:

            Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
            or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
            distributed with this work for additional information
            regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
            to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
            "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
            with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

            Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
            software distributed under the License is distributed on an
            "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
            KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
            specific language governing permissions and limitations
            under the License.
          and be it further

          RESOLVED, that for the case of works that have not been
          directly submitted by the copyright owners to the Foundation
          for development, the associated copyright notices for the work
          shall not be moved, removed, or modified.

Cliff

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > There's a set of scripts (Perl, Python, and Java) under the committers
> > directory that does all of the relicensing for you.  It's really 5
> > minutes worth of work, if that...  -- justin
>
> For the record, it looks like only the Perl one has been updated.

I wrote those original ones under relicense/src/perl and
recently updated them. I did this to assist myself with
Forrest and Cocoon. If it helps other people then great.

The Python and Java ones have not been updated.

Also Roy recently added a new script in tools/copy2license.pl

> Running the tool might only take five minutes, if that, but checking
> the tool has done what it should do will take longer. Whilst I am
> grateful for that the tools exist since they do all the mindless work
> for you I would always want to review the output, particularly for
> something as important as the license.

Absolutely. In fact the tools that i wrote have a
"practice mode" and a "verbose mode" to enable reviewing
of what it is going to do. They can also avoid specified files.
I find it very useful to scan the project's trunk and summarise
the license header situation.

I do many practice runs. It is not an easy job.

Even so, when doing a change like this, then i always
do 'svn diff | my-sed-script' to filter stuff that i
expect. If anything is left over, then there is trouble.

Note: If someone has already used update-AL20.pl
then do it again. There was a vital error.

-David

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> There's a set of scripts (Perl, Python, and Java) under the committers
> directory that does all of the relicensing for you.  It's really 5
> minutes worth of work, if that...  -- justin

For the record, it looks like only the Perl one has been updated.

Running the tool might only take five minutes, if that, but checking
the tool has done what it should do will take longer. Whilst I am
grateful for that the tools exist since they do all the mindless work
for you I would always want to review the output, particularly for
something as important as the license.

Between them, the various Tomcat versions likely to have releases
after 1st August have well over 3,500 java files. Even a cursory scan
of the commit log is going to take rather more than 5 minutes and that
is without taking account of the various anomalous files I am sure
will crop up that will require some manual tweaking.

I am not arguing against this change, but speaking as someone who did
the 1.1 to 2.0 licence change for Tomcat 4 I know this will deflect
effort from other tasks and re-iterate my recommendation that the
announcement of this requirement is accompanied by an explanation of
why it needs to be done, and not just "because the board says so".

Mark

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Cliff Schmidt wrote:
<snip/>
> Before I send this out to committers@, I thought I'd start by sending it
> here to collect and answer any FAQ-type questions.  So, here's the new
> policy; hit me with any questions you have.
<snip/>
> B. SOURCE FILE HEADERS
>   0. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF by
> the copyright owner or owner's agent.
>   1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in
> it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
>     a. remove such notices, or
>     b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
> project release, or
>     c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
> relocation of the notices.
>   2. Each source file should include the following license header --
> note that there should be no copyright notice in the header:

My understanding of B.2 is that we are going to have to replace the
source header on every single source file we distribute. Is this
interpretation correct?

Re: LICENSE and NOTICE in jar artifacts (was: New copyright header policy)

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
BTW the discussion is taking place on legal-discuss@apache.org

-dain

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Fwd: LICENSE and NOTICE in jar artifacts (was: New copyright header policy)

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
You can very easily place the file in a location identified by
<resources>, but a better solution is still desired.

BTW, the change below has not been formally announced and delayed until
at least 1 Sept.

- Brett

Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: LICENSE and NOTICE in jar artifacts (was: New copyright header policy)

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
AFAIK this requirement has been postponed.

On 8/1/06, Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>  >    0. Every Apache distribution should include a NOTICE file in the
>  > top directory, along with the standard LICENSE file
>  >    1. The top of each NOTICE file should include the following text,
>  > suitably modified to reflect the product name and year(s) of
>  > distribution of the current and past versions of the product:
>  >
>  >            Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
>  >            Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation
>  >
>  >            This product includes software developed at
>  >            The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>  >
>  >    2. The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
>  > third-party notices.  The NOTICE file may also include copyright
>  > notices moved from source files submitted to the ASF (see B.1.).

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

LICENSE and NOTICE in jar artifacts (was: New copyright header policy)

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
I guess I should be clear about this when I send it out, but this
source file header policy only applies to the ASF.  The appendix to
the license is still good guidance to others, it's just not what we
will now be doing.

Cliff

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 6/7/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Is is sufficient just to change the headers on files in trunk and active
> branches or should we also do this to static trees such as tags? I would
> think doing tags would be confusing but individual files are available
> from those locations.

That's fine.  We only care about active branches that releases are cut
from.  -- justin

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

--
Jeremy

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> The file doesn't "need" it in any sense of that word.  The people who
> want to copy the file might need it, particularly if they receive it
> from a third-party who has copied it for use in a different product.
> Think of it as friendly documentation that says the recipient can use
> the file for other things, regardless of how it was received.

Ahhhh ...thanks for the clarification!

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Because we also publish them as individual files (see subversion,
> viewcvs, websites, etc.).

So basically every file that is invididually accessible through
subversion (which means pretty much all of them) needs to have such a
header to be under ASL?

The ASL is not GPL and people can pretty much do everything they want with it.
So why this effort?

Just curious

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 6/3/06, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Honestly I have never understood what makes a license header necessary
> at all if it comes in a distribution that has a LICENSE file. Someone
> care to explain why that's not enough? Even less understandable for
> documentation.
>
> Someone please enlighten me

Copyright notices and a license header allow someone examining that
work (in our case source files) to know the terms of distribution for
that work and who the author is.

If the notice is not there, it must be assumed that all rights are
reserved by some 'unknown' copyright holder - meaning that you can not
copy/modify/exhibit/redistribute/etc that work in any form.  -- justin

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:51 PM, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> During the last ASF Board meeting, a resolution was passed to require
>>> a different licensing header in source files plus requirements for
>>> copyright notices.  PMCs are not required to make any changes to past
>>> releases, but must apply these new rules to all distributions
>>> released on or after August 1, 2006.
>>
>> Does this also apply to HTML and other files published via the web-sites?
>
> Good question!  No; we don't have a NOTICE file for web sites. Instead, we
> should do a "Terms of Use" or "Legal Information" link in the footer of web
> pages to handle the same thing.  We don't have one standard policy on this,
> but this is what I think we should start doing.  So nothing required to do
> for web pages right now; we'll probably phase that in over time.
>
>> And does it apply to documentation files included in releases?
>
> Yes

Some projects include their site in the release as documentation. Does
that cause problems? Does the site then become a Yes?

Hen

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.
On Jun 4, 2006, at 9:40 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 04/06/06, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>> On 6/4/06, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > "Includes or references"
>> >
>> > If the LICENSE file "includes" all the licenses, is there a
>> > preferred/mandated way to indicate where one ends and the next one
>> > starts?
>>
>> Once again, please see:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE
>>
>> HTH.  -- justin
>>

> [Yes that does help - sorry I had forgotten about that.]
>
> However, I can't see it mentioned in the proposed announcement, which
> is what I was commenting on.
>
> One might guess that the httpd project would be likely to use the
> correct forms of the LICENSE and NOTICE files, but that is not a
> given...

This policy was specifically just taking on the issue of source file
headers and copyright notices, not license placement.  However, your
comment makes me think that it might be worth addressing the license
placement issue at the same time, since I would guess others will
have similar questions.  The question is partly addressed in http://
apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new, but I've been meaning to
revise that page.  I'll put something together in the next couple
days and send it here.

Cliff

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 04/06/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:51 PM, sebb wrote:
>
> > On 03/06/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org> wrote:
<snip/>

> >>    2. The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
> >> third-party notices.  The NOTICE file may also include copyright
> >> notices moved from source files submitted to the ASF (see B.1.).
> >>

> > Are there any rules for delimiting the additional notices to make it
> > easier to see their boundaries?
>
> I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking here.  There
> are some licenses that require a particular attribution be included
> in every distribution.  The NOTICE collects these various
> attributions and notices so that they are always carried forward in
> future distributions.

Sorry, I was confusing the NOTICE and LICENSE files here.

Notices are short (probably one paragraph), and it should be obvious
where one ends and the next one starts. Unlike licenses, see below.

> There are also some licenses that require that the entire license
> itself be included in every distribution; these licenses should *not*
> be copied into the NOTICE file.  Copying into the NOTICE file would
> make it a lot bigger/convoluted, rather than a simple file with
> notices.  Also, it would cause confusion about the distinction that
> the LICENSE file includes or references all applicable licensing
> terms and the NOTICE file is just for attribution notices.

"Includes or references"

If the LICENSE file "includes" all the licenses, is there a
preferred/mandated way to indicate where one ends and the next one
starts?

If using "references", what is the preferred/mandated way of doing this?

It would be useful to have some simple (and more complicated) examples
available.

Sebastian

Re: New copyright header policy

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@apache.org>.