Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/18 14:22:54 UTC

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Moving conversation to dev@ list

I was able to create branch using gitbox remote
Will proceed,

Thanks for the tip

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

[Release-plugin] Howto (Was: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4)

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 23:19:57 +0700, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
> Hello Rob,
>
> The instruction [1] is good but seems to me "too universal" it would
> be easier to start with instruction specific to particular project :)
> I was my first release of commons-collections so I was unsure on
> every step :))
>
> [1]
>
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=blob;f=doc/release/release.howto.txt

Rob was probably talking about this page:
     http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-release-plugin/index.html

The reference [1] above is a recipe which I started to write for
"Commons Math" way back when following any of the documents would
get me stuck as I was tryiing to manage my first release.
Through asking on the list, we manage to fill all the dots.
Later, the "recipe" was adapted to "git" and then to "multimodule
maven" (when I started "Commons RNG").

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Rob,

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=blob;f=doc/release/release.howto.txt

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 21:19, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 19, 2018, at 8:29 AM, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The build was successful
> > Staging repo is closed
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the help!
>
> How were the docs on using the release plugin? Just curious…as I wrote the plugin and the docs.
>
> -Rob

> >> 4.2-RC1/
> >>
> >> Yes that does happen. I would make sure to delete the staging svn
> >> directory before going with the RC.
> >>
> >> -Rob

> >> files
> >> execute
> >> files

> >> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=blob;f=doc/release/release.howto.txt#l300

> >> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.3/commons-collections4-4.3.jar

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
The build was successful
Staging repo is closed

Thanks a lot for the help!

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 08:54, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 18, 2018, at 7:51 PM, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible staging-distribution fails because there is already
> 4.2-RC1/
> > at dist-dev?
>
> Yes that does happen. I would make sure to delete the staging svn
> directory before going with the RC.
>
> -Rob
>

> >> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 07:32, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Now I'm getting:
> >>
> >> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> >> org.apache.commons:commons-release-plugin:1.3:stage-distributions
> >> (stage-distributions) on project commons-collections4: Failed to add
> files
> >> to scm -> [Help 1]
> >> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
> execute
> >> goal org.apache.commons:commons-release-plugin:1.3:stage-distributions
> >> (stage-distributions) on project commons-collections4: Failed to add
> files
> >> to scm
> >>
> >> I can see no reasonable error message
> >>
> >> Have tried to manually commit to
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/collections/ and commit
> >> was successfull

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=blob;f=doc/release/release.howto.txt#l300

> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.3/commons-collections4-4.3.jar

> >> --
> >> WBR
> >> Maxim aka solomax
> >>

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Now I'm getting:

> [...]

> >> That's because it does not exist.
> >> Why did you add "-Pcommons-collections" to the command-line?
> >> Is it documented to do so somewhere?

> >> add
> >> files

> >> proceed
> >> with
> >>
> >> I don't use the release plugin so I don't know about that.

> >> `4.3-release`
> >> in fact
>
> That's the convention followed up to now.
> But we do delete feature and bugfix branches that were merged into
> "master", or experimental branches that have become stale.
>
> Gilles

> >> be

> >> <so...@gmail.com>

> >> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>

> >> artifacts:
> >> Could
> >> org.apache.commons:commons-collections4:jar:4.3

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I found it here:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=blob;f=doc/release/release.howto.txt#l300

Shall I drop current staging repo and restart the build without this
profile?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 06:57, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 23:37, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks a lot Sebb,
> >
> > staging repo was created successfully.
> > `mvn -Duser.name="solomax" -Pcommons-collections -Prelease clean site
> > site:stage deploy`
> >
> > but I got following error during the build:
> > [WARNING] The requested profile "commons-collections" could not be
> > activated because it does not exist.
>
> That's because it does not exist.
> Why did you add "-Pcommons-collections" to the command-line?
> Is it documented to do so somewhere?
>
> > [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> > org.apache.commons:commons-release-plugin:1.3:stage-distributions
> > (stage-distributions) on project commons-collections4: Failed to add
> files
> > to scm -> [Help 1]
> >
> > It seems not important to me, would it be OK to ignore it and proceed
> with
> > RC1?
>
> I don't use the release plugin so I don't know about that.
>
> > Another question: during release preparation I have created `4.3-release`
> > branch, it has zero commits, and I believe should be dropped (and in fact
> > shouln't be created)
> > Documentation states: "As branches deletion is now forbidden at
> > Apache, we will use a specific
> > release branch for every version"
> >
> > Can I delete this useless branch and propose documentation update?
> >
> > On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 00:04, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think the issue with dist/release/commons is that you need to be
> > > listed as a project committer, i.e. you need to be a Commons
> > > committer.
> > >
> > > Possibly the same applies to Nexus.
> > >
> > > I have added you as a Commons committer.

> Could
> > > > > >
> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2):
> > > > > >

> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.3/commons-collections4-4.3.jar

> gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>

> forbidden
> forbidden

> (fetch)
> (push)

> denied to

> > > https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-collections.git

> issue
> resolution

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Sebb,

staging repo was created successfully.
`mvn -Duser.name="solomax" -Pcommons-collections -Prelease clean site
site:stage deploy`

but I got following error during the build:
[WARNING] The requested profile "commons-collections" could not be
activated because it does not exist.
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.commons:commons-release-plugin:1.3:stage-distributions
(stage-distributions) on project commons-collections4: Failed to add files
to scm -> [Help 1]

It seems not important to me, would it be OK to ignore it and proceed with
RC1?

Another question: during release preparation I have created `4.3-release`
branch, it has zero commits, and I believe should be dropped (and in fact
shouln't be created)
Documentation states: "As branches deletion is now forbidden at
Apache, we will use a specific
release branch for every version"

Can I delete this useless branch and propose documentation update?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 00:04, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the issue with dist/release/commons is that you need to be
> listed as a project committer, i.e. you need to be a Commons
> committer.
>
> Possibly the same applies to Nexus.
>
> I have added you as a Commons committer.
>
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 16:24, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the help :)
> > Glad to check the release process ;)
> >
> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 23:19, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:

> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.3/commons-collections4-4.3.jar

> > > I don't know how to change the permissions (I don't think I have
> > > the privilege anyway), and the PMC chair is AFK for a couple more
> > > days IIUC. :-(
> > >
> > > Perhaps someone with a taller hat. :-}
> > >
> > > Sorry for the inconvenience; it looks like you are first one to
> > > try and exercise those privileges voted several years ago...
> > >
> > > Gilles

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-collections.git

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for the help :)
Glad to check the release process ;)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 23:19, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:05:12 +0700, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
> > Thanks a lot
> >
> > Unfortunately the next error is: Failed to deploy artifacts: Could
> > not
> > transfer artifact org.apache.commons:commons-collections4:jar:4.3
> > from/to
> > apache.releases.https (
> > https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2):
> > Access
> > denied to:
> >

> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.3/commons-collections4-4.3.jar
> >
> > I'm release manger for Apache OpenMeetings and just double-check I
> > can
> > access Staging Repos at repository.apache.org
> > , so I guess there are additional restrictions here
> >
> > would appreciate any help/hint :)
>
> I don't know how to change the permissions (I don't think I have
> the privilege anyway), and the PMC chair is AFK for a couple more
> days IIUC. :-(
>
> Perhaps someone with a taller hat. :-}
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience; it looks like you are first one to
> try and exercise those privileges voted several years ago...
>
> Gilles
>

> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 22:54, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> > wrote:

> >> follow):
> >> by

> >> Not me.
> >> But I've added your key (revision 31593).
> >>
> >> Hope it gets you a little further,
> >> Gilles

> >> <so...@gmail.com>

> >> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>

> >> release I

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

access Staging Repos at repository.apache.org
, so I guess there are additional restrictions here

would appreciate any help/hint :)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 22:54, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:03:04 +0700, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
> > It seems I'm unable to commit to SVN:

> > Sending        KEYS
> > Transmitting file data .svn: E195023: Commit failed (details follow):
> > svn: E195023: Changing file
> > '/home/solomax/work/apache-dist/release/commons/KEYS' is forbidden by
> > the
> > server
> > svn: E175013: Access to
> > '/repos/dist/!svn/txr/31592-qod/release/commons/KEYS' forbidden
> >
> > Can someone help me with access rights?
>
> Not me.
> But I've added your key (revision 31593).
>
> Hope it gets you a little further,
> Gilles
>

> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 21:22, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Moving conversation to dev@ list
> >>
> >> I was able to create branch using gitbox remote
> >> Will proceed,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the tip

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git;a=blob;f=doc/release/release.howto.txt

> >> --
> >> WBR
> >> Maxim aka solomax

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Help with migrating one of OpenJPA classes to commons-collections4

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR