Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de> on 2012/04/25 22:43:24 UTC

help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst

Hi there,

I have problems running/debugging a WAR module out of a maven based multi-module
project in Eclipse using WST and Tomcat.

The problem is that the classpath is wrong.
When I build the WAR and manually deploy to a local tomcat webapps directory all
works fine. However in Eclipse I get these ClassNotFoundExceptions.

When I expand the JEE sub-modules of the WAR module in servers view,
I can see that there are modules missing. If I select the WAR module
in Projects view and check
Properties > Java Build Path > Libraries > Maven Dependencies
everything is there...

Maven > Update Project... does not help either. Nor removing the WAR module from
Tomcat and adding once again. Nor cleaning Tomcat.

This lead me to the config file .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component
When I manually patched this file by adding the missing modules and refreshed
the project the problem goes away.

Searching the web I found this one:
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MECLIPSEWTP-146

However this is fixed already in 0.14.0 and I am running
m2e 1.1.0.20120130-216 with m2e wtp in 0.14.0.20110928-2045

Anyhow the entries with the JAR including Version still can be found
in my org.eclipse.wst.common.component

Mybe the fix did not make it into 0.14.0 ?

Any ideas but going back to "mvn eclipse:eclipse" ?
I always avoided m2e before and now just started loving it until I ran into
these problems...

Regards
  Jörg

Re: help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst (FIXED)

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
Hi everybody,

I found a solution to my problem.

Everybody hates digging through threads where people are having the same problem
but then no answer or something like "I found the problem,
was a stupid mistake". Therefore here it is:

1. Upgrade to m2e 1.1.0
Now the projects in deployment assembly were present except for a single one
that was always missing.

2. The <packagingExcludes> contain a pattern matching the JAR of the missing
project.
This is by intention as this project contains the configuration for the
development environment and is provided on other environments. It should
therefore not be bundled with the released WAR so it remains portable.

I never expected m2e to treat such special things of maven war plugin and IMHO
this is more a bug than a feature.

However, my solution is to add a profile triggered by the property
"eclipse.application" that "undefines" the <packagingExcludes>.

Now everything rocks again with m2e :)

Unfortunately I was not forced to check out Webby yet ;)

Regards
  Jörg

> [...]
> changes and that is the bad thing about m2e.
> With mvn eclipse:eclipse, I do have the control over settings important to me
> and I can control the point in time when to update. This makes it robust in case
> of problems. However it is very cool to have m2e and get dependencies updated,
> if I update SVN and a POM has changed. However, in case the automagic algorithm
> is wrong, the entire team is quickly in big trouble.
>
>> Having dependencies on Eclipse projects can be problematic.
>>
>> 1) If you think that the problems is Eclipse related, you might want to try
>> Springframework's Eclipse STS. It comes with everything that you need to use maven
>> to build Java projects.
>
> Nope. The problem is originated in m2e-wtp. That is for sure.
>

>> 2) What Repo server are you using? It is highly recommended to use a repo with
>> maven and deploy your snapshots when they are ready to be used in other projects.
>
> I am using artifactory. However, I do not see any relation to my problem.
>

>> 3) Turning off Eclipse's use of other projects to resolve dependencies means
>> that you are sure that your dependencies are being resolved from your local
>> Maven folder on your workstation which you have been put there by  a maven build
>> and install.
>
> I do not get this one. Seems to be related to the misunderstanding...
> So far as I can tell:
> I do not want to have this in any way. However, wtp seems to work only in this
> way. In the end the resources and classes are NOT really read from the JARs in
> maven target folders as I can see that code hot deployment is working during
> debugging. However it appears to me that classes/resources have to be initially
> present in the JARs. Might be related to tomcats context class loader hell...
>
> If someone could shed a light into this or point me to a link I would be very
> pleased, as I do not entirely understand this magic.
>

>> Ron
>
> Thanks
>   Jörg
>

>> On 04/05/2012 3:25 AM, Jörg Hohwiller wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> thank you for your help and response...

>>> No. I mean internal dependencies to my own artefacts not external libraries.
>>> Or in other words dependencies on eclipse projects.

>>> Yes. This is where the "org.eclipse.wst.common.component" file is
>>> configured. I can also fix my problem here by clicking "add" and then
>>> "projects" and then selecting the missing projects.
>>>
>>> I am absolutely and 100% sure that the missing projects are dependencies
>>> of that WAR-packaging module/project. I also checked by "dependency hierarchy"
>>> tab of the m2e POM view as well as with mvn dependency:tree.

>>> Yes, it is. However only if the project dependencies are also present,
>>> it works.
>>>
>>> Then IMHO this is a bug of m2e such that these maven dependencies are calculated
>>> wrong or exclude the eclipse internal project dependencies
>>> and those are calculated wrong by m2e-wtp.

If know-how becomes know-where, then knowledge gets nowhere.
  [Jörg Hohwiller]

Re: help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Having dependencies on Eclipse projects can be problematic.

1) If you think that the problems is Eclipse related, you might want to
try Springframework's Eclipse STS. It comes with everything that you
need to use maven
to build Java projects.

2) What Repo server are you using? It is highly recommended to use a
repo with maven and deploy your snapshots when they are ready to be used
in other projects.

3) Turning off Eclipse's use of other projects to resolve dependencies
means that you are sure that your dependencies are being resolved from
your local Maven folder on your workstation which you have been put
there by  a maven build and install.

Ron

On 04/05/2012 3:25 AM, Jörg Hohwiller wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> thank you for your help and response...
>
>> You're talking about missing dependencies to libraries, not Maven modules, it
>> that correct?
> No. I mean internal dependencies to my own artefacts not external libraries.
> Or in other words dependencies on eclipse projects.
>
>> Did you try going to Project Properties>  Deployment Assembly ?
> Yes. This is where the "org.eclipse.wst.common.component" file is
> configured. I can also fix my problem here by clicking "add" and then
> "projects" and then selecting the missing projects.
>
> I am absolutely and 100% sure that the missing projects are dependencies
> of that WAR-packaging module/project. I also checked by "dependency hierarchy"
> tab of the m2e POM view as well as with mvn dependency:tree.
>
>> Is "Maven Dependencies" shown?
> Yes, it is. However only if the project dependencies are also present,
> it works.
>
> Then IMHO this is a bug of m2e such that these maven dependencies are calculated
> wrong or exclude the eclipse internal project dependencies
> and those are calculated wrong by m2e-wtp.
>
>> If not, click on Add>  Java Build Path Entries>  Maven
>> Dependencies>  Finish
>>
>> Then, to be safe, remove the project from Tomcat in the Servers view, click
>> Publish, and add the project to the Tomcat instance in the Servers view.
> Unfortunately that's not the case.
>
>> HTH,
>> Daniel Serodio
> Best Regards
>    Jörg

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Serodio <ds...@mandic.com.br>.
You're talking about missing dependencies to libraries, not Maven
modules, it that correct?

Did you try going to Project Properties > Deployment Assembly ? Is
"Maven Dependencies" shown? If not, click on Add > Java Build Path

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
> On May 7, 2012, at 3:27 PM, Jörg Hohwiller wrote:
>> Hi Jeff, hi Kalle,
>> thanks for your hints. I will give webby and sysdeo a try.
>> Jetty-run will not help as I need a way to run and debug directly from eclipse
>> including code hot deployment.
> Webby has fully debugger support, obeys the jetty-maven-plugin configuration for contexts and ports, and support WAR overlays. We don't promote it enough but Webby kicks ass. Combine Webby with JRebel and it's web development nirvana.

I thought Tapestry 5 was web development nirvana but to each his own
:) For Jetty, I meant http://code.google.com/p/run-jetty-run/. Might
need to check out Webby.

Kalle

Re: help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On May 7, 2012, at 3:27 PM, Jörg Hohwiller wrote:

> Hi Jeff, hi Kalle,
>
> thanks for your hints. I will give webby and sysdeo a try.
> Jetty-run will not help as I need a way to run and debug directly from eclipse
> including code hot deployment.

Webby has fully debugger support, obeys the jetty-maven-plugin configuration for contexts and ports, and support WAR overlays. We don't promote it enough but Webby kicks ass. Combine Webby with JRebel and it's web development nirvana.

> I used Sysdeo a long while ago, and just had other problems.
> Maybe its better now...
>
> Regards
>  Jörg
>
>> You should also have a look at sonatype webby, it is based on cargo and it
>> works almost instantenously on Maven war projects
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> Le samedi 5 mai 2012, Kalle Korhonen a écrit :
>>
>>> I've always found WTP's generic container support to be too slow and
>>> too limiting for me. Sysdeo's Tomcat launcher allows for more explicit
>>> control of the classpath, google or see
>>> http://tynamo.org/Developing+with+Tomcat+and+Eclipse for more info.
>>> run-jetty-run plugin is another good and simple choice.
>>>
>>> Kalle

>>> multi-module

>>> directory all

>>> module from

>>> .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component
>>> refreshed

>>> into

> If know-how becomes know-where, then knowledge gets nowhere.
>  [Jörg Hohwiller]

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Selfish deeds are the shortest path to self destruction.

 -- The Seven Samuari, Akira Kurosawa

Re: help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
Hi Jeff, hi Kalle,

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
You should also have a look at sonatype webby, it is based on cargo and it
works almost instantenously on Maven war projects

Jeff

Le samedi 5 mai 2012, Kalle Korhonen a écrit :

> I've always found WTP's generic container support to be too slow and
> too limiting for me. Sysdeo's Tomcat launcher allows for more explicit
> control of the classpath, google or see
> http://tynamo.org/Developing+with+Tomcat+and+Eclipse for more info.
> run-jetty-run plugin is another good and simple choice.
>
> Kalle
>

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Jörg Hohwiller <joerg@j-hohwiller.de<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have problems running/debugging a WAR module out of a maven based
> multi-module
> > project in Eclipse using WST and Tomcat.
> >
> > The problem is that the classpath is wrong.
> > When I build the WAR and manually deploy to a local tomcat webapps
> directory all
> > works fine. However in Eclipse I get these ClassNotFoundExceptions.
> >
> > When I expand the JEE sub-modules of the WAR module in servers view,
> > I can see that there are modules missing. If I select the WAR module
> > in Projects view and check
> > Properties > Java Build Path > Libraries > Maven Dependencies
> > everything is there...
> >
> > Maven > Update Project... does not help either. Nor removing the WAR
> module from
> > Tomcat and adding once again. Nor cleaning Tomcat.
> >
> > This lead me to the config file
> .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component
> > When I manually patched this file by adding the missing modules and
> refreshed
> > the project the problem goes away.
> >
> > Searching the web I found this one:
> > https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MECLIPSEWTP-146
> >
> > However this is fixed already in 0.14.0 and I am running
> > m2e 1.1.0.20120130-216 with m2e wtp in 0.14.0.20110928-2045
> >
> > Anyhow the entries with the JAR including Version still can be found
> > in my org.eclipse.wst.common.component
> >
> > Mybe the fix did not make it into 0.14.0 ?
> >
> > Any ideas but going back to "mvn eclipse:eclipse" ?
> > I always avoided m2e before and now just started loving it until I ran
> into
> > these problems...
> >
> > Regards
> >  Jörg

Jeff MAURY

working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury

Re: help needed: problems with eclipse, m2e and wst

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.