Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by John Godfrey <jd...@shaw.ca> on 2016/04/22 20:34:56 UTC

Excell 2003+

Hi all.
I am a user, but not a developer.
I was recently sent an excell.xlsx file AOO could not open. the sender
told me it was generated by Excel 2003. Will there be an update to
facilitate these files?
Thanks,
john

Re: Excell 2003+

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 22/04/2016 18:34, John Godfrey wrote:

> the sender told me it was generated by Excel 2003.

I'm guessing you made a typo for Excel 2013,

If it really is Excel 2003, and it really is an .xlsx file, then no the
issue will not fixed, because it can not be fixed. (IIRC, this is the
.xlsx version whose file format can't be shared with other computers,
with a subsequent patch from Microsoft removing that functionality.)

> Will there be an update to facilitate these files?

That depends upon why it won't open. Potential reasons are:
* The file is password protected;
* The file is encrypted;
* The file requires VBA libraries that AOo does not have access to;
* There is something in the file format that AOo doesn't understand, but
is otherwise valid;
* The file itself is corrupt. Try opening it with Excel, and see what
happens;
* Something else;

My guess is that the issue is VBA Libraries are not accessible. I might
be using the wrong name. These are the libraries used for the macro
language that Excel can understand.

jonathon

FW: Excell 2003+

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[ ... ]

RE: Excell 2003+

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Re: Excell 2003+

Posted by John Godfrey <jd...@shaw.ca>.
Hi.
Thanks for your response.

Re: Excell 2003+

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

--
Mechtilde Stehmann

## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian
## Loook, calendar-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome
## Key-ID 0x141AAD7F