Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/11 21:38:47 UTC

Does Hbase read .bashrc file??

Hello list,

           Does Hbase read the environment variables set in
*~/.bashrc*file everytime I issue
*bin/start-hbase.sh*??What could be the possible reasons for that?Specially
if I have a standalone setup on my local FS.

Thank you so much for your time.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com

Re: Does Hbase read .bashrc file??

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
I see. It was actually a Linux "thing". Thank you so much for the
clarification.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello sir,

      Long time :)

Yeah, my understanding was same as whatever you have written. But today I
noticed that Hbase is picking HADOOP_HOME from bashrc when I was trying to
run it in standalone mode(on my local FS). Although all the Hadoop daemons
were stopped and Hbase was configured to run in standalone mode, it was
still trying to reach "hdfs://localhost:9000" and hence getting :

java.net.ConnectException: Call to localhost/127.0.0.1:9000 failed on
connection exception: .

So I arrived at the conclusion that if I have HADOOP_HOME set in bashrc,
Hbase will try to search for the NN neglecting the properties set in
hbase-site.xml. And once I commented out HADOOP_HOME in bashrc, everything
started behaving just perfectly.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Tariq