Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Johannes Moser <jo...@moser.wtf> on 2022/11/17 10:56:52 UTC

"Introduction to Apache Flink" presentation

Hi all,

I was talking at a meetup yesterday about Apache Flink.
There is this Google Presentation that was created earlier and never has
been updated. As I had to come up with a presentation anyhow I used this
and updated it. See the result in [1].

First, I'd like to get feedback on the updated presentation. So please if
you got some time, have a look at it and comment. Everyone should be able
to do that.

Having a default presentation that people can use to talk about Apache
Flink is a good thing, so I'd like to keep that. I want to test the
sentiment of the community with a couple of connected ideas.

1) Moving the presentation to a more sustainable technology that can also
be incorporated better into the Apache Flink workflow.
I'd suggest using something like reveal.js and adding the presentation to
flink-web, so everyone has an easier time contributing. I guess the
presentation would also benefit from a review process and an update could
be included in release processes.

2) Adding a list of people that might be open to giving that presentation,
so that Meetup organizers can reach out to them. Other communities have
such "community champion" setups. The Apache Flink community would benefit
from that as well.

Happy to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Joe

[1]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1t-pxzvCffgHHDT8YWhBzOOrOKBZcsTLT2fSgMKwxAS8/edit?usp=sharing

Re: "Introduction to Apache Flink" presentation

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hello Joe -- sorry for the late reply, a colleague just showed me this.

I don't know if you're aware, but there's an incubating project called
Apache Training (Incubating) [1] that collects introductory and training
materials for various Apache projects.  All ASF committers have write
permissions on the incubator-training repository.

For your first point, if you're looking for some common, shared reveal.js
(and asciidoctor)-based tools, this might be a good home for a Flink
presentation.  There's still some room for improvement in the shared code,
of course, but that's the point of sharing the code :D  I did my ApacheCon
Avro presentation with it (but STILL haven't gotten around to contributing
it).

There's not a lot of momentum in the Training project at the moment, but
IMO it's fundamentally a pretty good idea for the community.  If you go
that route, I'd be willing to help out with review and conversion to
reveal.js and asciidoctor; a lot of the conversion work is just fiddling
around with layout until it looks OK.

All that being said, the presentation looks really good and I'd probably be
motivated to see it!  (is there a video yet?)

All my best, Ryan

[1]: https://training.apache.org/ "Training website"
[2]:
https://training.apache.org/presentations/incubator/navigating-asf-incubation/index.html