Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Tim Diggins <ti...@red56.co.uk> on 2007/05/01 12:48:04 UTC

IvyCruise replacement

Hi -

I'm considering ivy as a mechanism to express and manage dependencies
(currently only expressed in ant tasks), but as one of my main drivers
is to fix my continuous-build problems, am wondering what people do who
use ivy and cruisecontrol at present, given that ivycruise is apparently
not active and not working with latest cruisecontrol?

What do people do?
 * not use cruisecontrol?
 * live with the failures when things get built in the wrong order?
 * Use some other kind of modificationset and just update all
dependencies each build?

any perspectives helpful
]
thanks

Tim

--

---------------
  Tim Diggins

RE: IvyCruise replacement

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
Seems to be a good start.  You will have your modules able to rebuild when
one of its dependency has changed.

But you might have a few things to consider:
 1. How to clean your local repository if required.
 2. You might have some modules rebuild too often.  For example if you have
3 modules A ,B and C.  B depends on A.  C depends on A and B.  When A is
rebuild, it should be better to wait that B is rebuild before rebuilding C.

For the first point, having enough disk space, combined with an occasional
clean and full rebuild might be a solution.

For the second point (if you consider it is a problem), you might take some
inspiration from the new veto modificationset.

Gilles

Re: IvyCruise replacement

Posted by Tim Diggins <ti...@red56.co.uk>.

--

---------------

RE: IvyCruise replacement

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
I'm using cruisecontrol with +/- 60 modules.

I just rebuild all modules every time that a change is detected in any
module.  The build take now 20 minutes when it is successful (but often
fails after less than 5 minutes ;-).  This is acceptable for us.

The benefits is that it is simpler to setup.  Moreover, I can publish the
artefact to a snapshot repository only at the end of a full build so that
I'm sure that the snapshot repository is always consistent.

However, this approach doesn't scale very well...  In my case, most of the
developers are working simultaneously on most of the modules.  But if it is
not the case, you have probably to take an other approach.

Gilles