Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Ian K. Harrell" <fi...@trificient.net> on 2003/07/02 04:40:27 UTC

[users@httpd] directory indexin

Greetings all,

I have just recently setup a PC with RedHat 9.0 and Apache 2.0.40 that
came with it. Its been awhile since I last used Linux and apache so I am
trying to get back into the swing of things.

The apache server is going to be running a private (if there can ever be
a truly private) website for me and one other person that I work with to
coordinate scheduling and share information about upcoming projects.

I have been working on this for about a week now and I am running into a
few problems. I will only address the problems on the list singularly as
I would like to fix one thing before moving on to the next to help me be
certain that I understand everything.

Anyways, On to the first problem:   Directory Indexing

I have configured apache to allow each user a public_html area. Under
that directory I have set up another directory which will contain files
and subdirectories that I would like to have indexed. I have all the
permissions set correctly as far as I can tell. (world read and execute
on all files and directories). Sample directory structure is as follows:

public_html
    --> firefighting (this is a directory)
           general_course_list.txt (this is a basic text file)
            --->Hose Streams and Appliances (another directory)
            --->Personal Protective Equipment (and another directory)

When going into this directory to retrieve the index the only thing I
can see is the text file. None of the other directories show up.

In httpd.conf I have the following:
<Directory "/">
	Options Indexes
	AllowOverride all
</Directory>

and in the firefighting directory under public_html I have the following
.htaccess file:

Options +Indexes
IndexOptions FancyIndexing

>From what I can read in the documentation for Apache the htaccess file
should apply to all subdirectories even if the root directory wasn't set
to allow indexing. But the subdirectories aren't showing up. Just the
one file in the firefighting directory.

Also, before anyone asks :), I HAVE restarted the apache server so the
configuration file would be read in after I changed it. In fact I even
rebooted the PC a few times. All with the same results.

Any one see anything that I am missing or doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance,
Ian K. Harrell
Fireman71@trificient.net

RE: [users@httpd] directory indexin -- SOLVED

Posted by "Ian K. Harrell" <fi...@trificient.net>.
Turning AllowOverride off fixed the problem!

Whew, I can stop banging my head against the table now~

A big thank you to everyone who helped me with this issue, I really
appreciate it!

THANK YOU!!
Ian K. Harrell

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Try doing AllowOverride None.
That should discard the htaccess files in the subfolders.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324
www.GEJ-IT.com
GEJ-IT Networks!

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Ian K. Harrell" <fi...@trificient.net>.
Inaddition to the below:

It generates that same error log entry for every subdirectory under
firefighting. I just copied and pasted the one for the rescue directory.

There are 14 subdirectories in all and everytime I try to get the
directory to index I get 14 entries in the error log about .htaccess
permission denied.

Posted by "Ian K. Harrell" <fi...@trificient.net>.
No, there are no .htaccess files in any of the directories under
public_html. I went through and ls -al all them, no .htaccess. Then I
went and tried a slocate .htaccess with no files found and then I did a
find .htaccess from the / directory and still no .htaccess files found.

Looking at the error logs it does look like there is still one somewhere
but it isn't showing up in any directory listings or any file searches.

Thanks,
Ian K. Harrell

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Posted by "Ian K. Harrell" <fi...@trificient.net>.
In the httpd.conf file there is a line:

LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so

That line is uncommented and it looks like it is loading it up. Nothing
I can find in the logs saying anything about failed modules.

Again Thanks :)
Ian K. Harrell

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
By looking at your file, you set a Vhost that is not being used. That's one
thing - remove or commit it out.
You are trying to get a Directory to point to your directory
/home/fireman71/public_html, which is not under /var/www/html - in order to

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Hi Ian,