Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Golden, James" <jg...@ci.grand-rapids.mi.us> on 2006/07/21 17:07:33 UTC

Newbie question

Hi all,

I just took over the administration of spamassassin, since my coworker
moved on.  I'm not really familiar with a lot of this.  The problem I am
having is this:

A user has a legitimatly high AWL score (because of rules determined by
management).  Now they want the user to be "reset".  I tried using this
command (spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist=joe@somewhere.org)
and several variations, but It doesn't seem to work.  I finally ran the
command with a debug and this is what I got:

[root@#### .spamassassin]# spamassassin -D -R
--remove-addr-from-whitelist=joe@somewhere.org
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.3
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? yes
debug: Running in taint mode, removing unsafe env vars, and resetting
PATH
debug: PATH included '/usr/kerberos/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/kerberos/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/X11R6/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/oracle/OraHome1/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/oracle/jre/bin', which doesn't exist,
dropping.
debug: PATH included '/root/bin', keeping.
debug: Final PATH set
to: /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/oracle/OraHome1/bin:/root/bin
debug: using "/usr/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/10_misc.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_anti_ratware.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_body_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_compensate.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_drugs.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_fake_helo_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_head_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_html_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_meta_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_phrases.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_porn.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_ratware.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_uri_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/23_bayes.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_body_tests_es.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_hashcash.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_spf.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_de.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_fr.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_nl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_pl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/60_whitelist.cf
debug: config: read
file /usr/share/spamassassin/99_bogus-virus-warnings.cf
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: config: read file /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs
debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: scor
LOCAL_nasty_image_link_RULE 10000
debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping:
rewrite_subject 1
debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: subject_tag
[SPAM]
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: bayes: no dbs present, cannot tie DB
R/O: /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: Score set 1 chosen.
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: lock: 24237
created /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.(server).24237
debug: lock: 24237 trying to get lock
on /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist with 0 retries
debug: lock: 24237 link to /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: link
ok
debug: Tie-ing to DB file R/W in /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
debug: auto-whitelist (db-based): mrussell@rpionline.com|ip=none scores
0/0
SpamAssassin auto-whitelist: removing address: joe@somewhere.org
debug: DB addr list: untie-ing and unlocking.
debug: DB addr list: file locked, breaking lock.
debug: unlock: 24237 unlink /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock

Even after this, the score still remains the same.    I am running this
on Fedora Core 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Newbie question

Posted by "Golden, James" <jg...@ci.grand-rapids.mi.us>.
Thanks for that!  I kinda was heading in that direction.  Now at the
risk of sounding really stupid.  How can I figure that out?  I know we
are running MailScanner, and spamassassin is setup through MailScanner
to scan the mail.

Thanks for the answers.  You are great!

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.
"Golden, James" <jg...@ci.grand-rapids.mi.us> wrote on 07/21/2006
10:07:33 AM:

> Hi all,
>
> I just took over the administration of spamassassin, since my
> coworker moved on.  I'm not really familiar with a lot of this.  The
> problem I am having is this:
>
> A user has a legitimatly high AWL score (because of rules determined
> by management).  Now they want the user to be "reset".  I tried
> using this command (spamassassin --remove-addr-from-
> whitelist=joe@somewhere.org) and several variations, but It doesn't
> seem to work.  I finally ran the command with a debug and this is what I
got:

> [root@#### .spamassassin]# spamassassin -D -R
--remove-addr-from-whitelist=
> joe@somewhere.org
[snip]
> debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: scor
> LOCAL_nasty_image_link_RULE 10000
> debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping:
rewrite_subject 1
> debug: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, skipping: subject_tag
[SPAM]

First fix your local rule and update your subject tagging. See the UPGRADE
doc.

> debug: Tie-ing to DB file R/W in /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
> debug: auto-whitelist (db-based): mrussell@rpionline.com|ip=none scores
0/0
> SpamAssassin auto-whitelist: removing address: joe@somewhere.org
> debug: DB addr list: untie-ing and unlocking.
> debug: DB addr list: file locked, breaking lock.
> debug: unlock: 24237 unlink /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock
>
> Even after this, the score still remains the same.    I am running
> this on Fedora Core 1.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How are you invoking SA? The command you ran was run under the root
account, SA doesn't run using that account. You need to run that command
using the same ID.

Andy