Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Haseltine, Celeste" <CH...@magticket.com> on 2002/11/04 18:20:18 UTC

Steps to Get JRUN 3.1 and Struts 1.1b2 working

As promised, I am posting the steps I took to get Struts 1.1b2 working in
JRUN 3.1.  I only got the example application working, I did not bother to
get the other web apps bundled with Struts 1.1b2 working.  So I can't
guarantee that I found EVERY problem in getting Struts 1.1b2 working in JRUN
3.1.  As you can see, the steps necessary to get Struts 1.1b2 working are
such that you cannot run any 1.02 Struts apps on the same physical server in
JRUN 3.1.  Therefore, we discarded Struts 1.1b2 as a viable option for our
upcoming project, and are going to stick with Struts 1.02.  If you are using
JRUN 4.0, these steps do NOT apply, and running 1.1b2 in it's own web
application or web server should not be an issue for you.

1.	Add <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup> to Web.xml file
2.	Add key to message resource parameter in struts-config.xml
  	<message-resources
parameter="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.ApplicationResources"
    		key="org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE"/>
3.	add following to action servlet in web.xml

	<init-param>
	  <param-name>application</param-name>

<param-value>org.apache.struts.webapp.example.ApplicationResources</param-va
lue>
	</init-param>

4.	Move all the jar files assoc with Struts 1.1b2 into <JRUN
Home>\lib\ext.  Moving them into it's own application server lib directory,
such as struts-example\WEB-INF\lib OR into it's own server lib directory
(such as C:\Program Files\Allaire\JRun\servers\Struts1.1\lib) did NOT work.
The example application ONLY worked if I moved all the jar files into the
<JRUN Home>\lib\ext directory.  This in effect killed all our applications
running in Struts 1.02, as the jar files in the JRUN\lib\ext directory are
loaded before the Struts jar files in the <web-application-name>\WEB-INF\lib
directories.

5.  One last step, if you use the validator servlet, make sure you add it to
the web.xml file and load it first.

<servlet>
	<servlet-name>validator</servlet-name>
	<init-param>
		<param-name>config</param-name>
		<param-value>WEB-INF/validation.xml</param-value>
	</init-param>
	<init-param>
		<param-name>debug</param-name>
		<param-value>2</param-value>
	</init-param>

<servlet-class>com.wintecinc.struts.action.ValidatorServlet</servlet-class>
	<display-name>validator</display-name>
	<description></description>
	<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

If anyone finds a better way to get Struts 1.1b2 working in JRUN 3.1,
particularly if you can get it working in it's own application server
environment lib subdirectory, please post the steps you took to get it
working.  I would be interested in seeing them.

Celeste Haseltine, PE
MTL, Inc
Dallas, TX

Re: Steps to Get JRUN 3.1 and Struts 1.1b2 working

Posted by John Owen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks! If I ever run into a client that demands using JRun, this will come
in handy. :)