Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Helck, Christopher" <ch...@ebs.com> on 2006/02/13 19:10:37 UTC

Need advice with InstallShield plugin for Maven2

Hi,

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add an InstallShield plugin
to the lifecycle. In maven1 it was easy -- I had various goals to
create, tar, and deploy the installer. In maven2 I'm at a loss as to how
to begin.

What I need to do is:

	1 Create a jar file.
	2 Assemble the jar file with other dependent jars into an
assembly directory (The assembly plugin is very nice!).
	3 Run the InstallShield builder passing in the assebled
directory as an argument.
	4 Tarball the InstallShield executable and a few files together.
	5 Create a self-extracting shell script.
	6 Deploy the shell script to a local repo.

Do steps 1-5 become part of the package phase?
Does 6 become part of the deploy phase?

Does this break the one artifact rule? I could have a POM that does step
1 (create a jar). And have a second POM that glues it all together as a
archived shell script? Should I break it down into multiple
POMs/subprojects further?

Confusedly yours,
Christopher Helck

Thank you for being part of it.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. This e-mail is intended only for the stated addressee.  If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. if you have received this e-mail in error, please inform us immediately and delete it and all copies from your system.

EBS Dealing Resources International Limited. Registered address: 10 Paternoster Square, London EC4M 7DY, United Kingdom. Registered number 2669861.

EBS Dealing Resources, Inc, registered in Delaware. Address: 535 Madison Avenue, 24th Floor, New York, NY 10022, USA, and One upper Pond road, Building F - Floor 3, Parsippany, NJ 07054, USA.

EBS Dealing Resources Japan Limited, a Japanese Corporation. Address: Asteer Kayabacho Bldg, 6th Floor, 1-6-1, Shinkawa, Chuo-Ku,  Tokyo 104-0033, Japan.

Re: Need advice with InstallShield plugin for Maven2

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The one artifact rule just means one "thing" being built. Since this
is just another way to repackage the same "thing", it's allowed. The
installer can be "attached" to the main artifact and they are all
deployed as one.

I think we planned to add installers via the assembly plugin, but I'm
not sure what state that is in. I need to go and look it up, but there
was some work filed in JIRA about izpack and nsis I think.

You are correct about the placement of the steps below.

- Brett