Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vincent Panel <vp...@axen.be> on 2003/03/19 19:00:47 UTC

Do not understand tomcat-apache autoconfiguration

Hi !

I've set up tomcat 1.4.1 and apache 1.3 to work together via
autoconfiguration (generating a mod_jk.conf file).

Here is the beginning of my server.xml file :

"
Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">

<!-- Autoconfiguration of Apache - vpanel
 see http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/ajp.html
 -->
 <Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
         modJk="/etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk.so"
         jkLog="/var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log"
         jkDebug="debug"
         forwardAll="true"
         />
<Context name="localhost" debug="0" appbase="webapps" >
</Context>
"

The mod_jk.conf generated is :

"
########## Auto generated on Wed Mar 19 17:23:51 CET 2003##########

<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
  LoadModule jk_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk.so
</IfModule>

JkWorkersFile "/var/tomcat4/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "/var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log"

JkLogLevel debug
"

I do not want virtualhosts on my apache server, only directories. The
problem is that there is no <Directory>, Alias nor JkMount directive
being generated and I have to set them up myself in the httpd.conf. Is
this supposed to be so ? (If it is the case, what is the interest of
auconfiguration : the mod_jk.conf contains exactly the same directives
as in my server.xml file!!)

Is there any solution to make Tomcat "virtualhosts" appears as
directories in the httpd.conf of apache ?

Thanks.

Vincent.

Re: Do not understand tomcat-apache autoconfiguration

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Well, you could try it and see.  Here is what is generated for me (attached)...

Jake

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Sorry, I looked back in the thread, but I'm not clear what the problem is.

The example mod_jk.conf file clearly has a virtual host for each Host, and
a Directory and Alias container for each Context.  This is demonstrated by
the fact that /manager and /admin are dynamic Contexts, but have a
Directory and Alias.

What is it that you need that isn't happening?  Every "Host" element in
server.xml is a "virtual host", so whether you want to "avoid this
virtualhosting feature" or not you will have to put a Listener element
within your Host element.  You have to have at least one Host element in
server.xml.

My HOWTO describes exactly where to put the Listener elements to generate
the mod_jk.conf example file I posted, which does have the three Jk*
directives.

http://www.johnturner.com/howto

John

Re: I need two really goods "how-to" both, IIS 5.0 and SQL Server

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Doesn't hurt to try it, it might work for your purposes.  We needed
CachedRowSet, and at the time (last summer), the MSFT-supplied Type 4
driver didn't support it and there were no plans to do so in the future, so
we went with another driver.  IIRC, there was also an issue of DB support,
as in 6.5=OK, 7.0=OK, 2000=Not OK, or maybe it was 7/2K=OK and 6.5=Not OK.

John

Re: Do not understand tomcat-apache autoconfiguration

Posted by Vincent Panel <vp...@axen.be>.

Unsure how to set Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES for the javaURLContextFactory, Catalina container

Posted by James Lewis <ja...@goodtechnology.com>.
Hi Folks,

I'm currently writing some JUnit tests for an application that normally runs
under Tomcat 4.1.18. To this end I need to spoof the Context that the tomcat
container uses.

I am using the javaURLContextFactory type when creating an InitialContext
and am getting the following message after performing a lookup:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name java:comp is not bound in this
Context
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:811)
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:194)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:347)
	at uk.co.goodtech.cms.unittest.CMSTest.<init>(CMSTest.java:79)

I believe that this error is down to the Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES not being
set correctly, but I am unable to locate much information about how to do
this (STFW, RTFM + source) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Cheers (and apologies if this is OT)

James

James Lewis
Java Developer
www.goodtechnology.com

Re: Do not understand tomcat-apache autoconfiguration. To John Turner.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Not sure what you mean...there's not much to it.  You'll need a third-party
driver ($$) to get true production-level features with multiple
connections.  The free Type 4 driver from Microsoft is fairly problematic,
after a couple weeks of trying to make it work we ended up going with a
third-party driver.  After that, you just instantiate the driver, call it,
and do your SQL, just like with any other Type 4 driver.

John

Posted by Victor Gonzalez <vg...@cyberworks.com.mx>.
And a how-to with SQL Server??

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.