Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/22 14:05:33 UTC

Re: Not just yet

For the curious and conspiracy theorists :) let me complete the picture.

I did actually attend the board meeting as I usually do and the board
was gracious enough to give me a couple of minutes to correct the
resolution. Unfortunately, whimsy wouldn't save the corrected
resolution, for a reason I don't yet understand. I went a second round
with svn, but ran out of time.

Looks like I got the graduation gods really angry. This is not what a
podling should expect from an ASF member.

Hadrian

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, the month delay in consideration is exactly an opportunity to
correct the resolutions technical defects.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Re: Not just yet

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Hadrian, All,

We have acquired a lot of familiarity with the challenges of the due
processes and also their importance.  We in the Brooklyn community
understand completely and we really appreciate all the assistance we are
getting.

I suggest we still look to release an 0.9.0 around the beginning of
November, though it will be called 0.9.0-incubating, and keep our
fingers crossed for the next board meeting and a non-incubating 0.10.0
at the start of December.

Best
Alex

On 22/10/2015 13:18, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the curious and conspiracy theorists :) let me complete the picture.
>>
>> I did actually attend the board meeting as I usually do and the board was
>> gracious enough to give me a couple of minutes to correct the resolution.
>> Unfortunately, whimsy wouldn't save the corrected resolution, for a reason I
>> don't yet understand. I went a second round with svn, but ran out of time.
>>
>> Looks like I got the graduation gods really angry. This is not what a
>> podling should expect from an ASF member.
> There were other people who who voted for the graduation
> recommendation resolution, yet no reviewer raised any concern.  The
> missing paragraph would have been subtle and hard to catch, but it's a
> bummer that nobody flagged the conflicting mission statements in two
> paragraphs.  The drafter does not bear sole responsibility.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

message after it was sent.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Hadrian, All,

We have acquired a lot of familiarity with the challenges of the due
processes and also their importance.  We in the Brooklyn community
understand completely and we really appreciate all the assistance we are
getting.

I suggest we still look to release an 0.9.0 around the beginning of
November, though it will be called 0.9.0-incubating, and keep our
fingers crossed for the next board meeting and a non-incubating 0.10.0
at the start of December.

Best
Alex

On 22/10/2015 13:18, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the curious and conspiracy theorists :) let me complete the picture.
>>
>> I did actually attend the board meeting as I usually do and the board was
>> gracious enough to give me a couple of minutes to correct the resolution.
>> Unfortunately, whimsy wouldn't save the corrected resolution, for a reason I
>> don't yet understand. I went a second round with svn, but ran out of time.
>>
>> Looks like I got the graduation gods really angry. This is not what a
>> podling should expect from an ASF member.
> There were other people who who voted for the graduation
> recommendation resolution, yet no reviewer raised any concern.  The
> missing paragraph would have been subtle and hard to catch, but it's a
> bummer that nobody flagged the conflicting mission statements in two
> paragraphs.  The drafter does not bear sole responsibility.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

message after it was sent.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm a bit bothered by the fact that this would mean that the community
>> > voted on one resolution and then a different resolution is constructed
>> > anew for the board to approve.  But at the moment, I'm not sure how to
>> > solve that problem.
>> >

>> New workflow:
>>
>> 1. $somebody uses whimsy to post a resolution
>> 2. commit message is forwarded to $list
>> 3. community sees $resolution
>>
>> I believe the question is "does the commit message reach the appropriate
>> audience?"
>>

> Maybe it stays in a waiting area until approved by the community?

There's an idea.

I prefer to focus on defining a process with whimsy in mind, and then
add support for making it easier to do something that could also be
done outside of whimsy.

Applied here, there could be a simple directory in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers of draft resolutions.
The board agenda tool could have one or more forms forms that assist
with drafting resolutions and place them in that directory.  People
could update those resolutions directory, and perhaps the tool could
also be used for update.

The board agenda tool could add support for posting a draft resolution
found in this directory to this month's agenda.

>> Cheers,
>> -g

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Perhaps it is time for a different subject line and/or move to
dev@whimsical?

Re: Not just yet

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:32 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2015 1:01 AM, "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>> > Cross-check is nice.
>> >
>> > I'd suggest another possibility: a web tool to *add* a template-based
>> > resolution in the first place.
>>
>> A.K.A.  A wizard or assistant[1].  Good idea, and easy peasy to
>> implement.
>
> Yup. With the agenda editing bits you've developed, I figured you could do
> this with your morning coffee :-)
>
>> I can start with these:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/
>
> Yes.
>
>> The only thing that looks moderately challenging from a UI perspective
>> is allowing the entry of a list of users.  I may just go with a
>> textarea as people generally have a resolution that they have voted on
>> prior to posting a board resolution.
>
> Good point. But in that whimsy issue, you mentioned checking the list of
> names/emails, so you've already got some processing for that textarea.

Indeed.

I'm a bit bothered by the fact that this would mean that the community
voted on one resolution and then a different resolution is constructed
anew for the board to approve.  But at the moment, I'm not sure how to
solve that problem.

> Cheers,
> -g

- Sam Ruby

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2015 9:57 AM, "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> I've also opened another issue that I would appreciate feedback on:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIMSY-28
>
> Cross-check is nice.
>
> I'd suggest another possibility: a web tool to *add* a template-based
> resolution in the first place.

A.K.A.  A wizard or assistant[1].  Good idea, and easy peasy to
implement.  I can start with these:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/

The only thing that looks moderately challenging from a UI perspective
is allowing the entry of a list of users.  I may just go with a
textarea as people generally have a resolution that they have voted on
prior to posting a board resolution.

> Cheers,
> -g

- Sam Ruby

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_%28software%29

Re: Not just yet

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Agreed, it would likely make more sense for the entire doc to be a
template, with only a few variables and maybe a single check indicating
they want bylaws or not.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Not just yet

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the curious and conspiracy theorists :) let me complete the picture.
>
> I did actually attend the board meeting as I usually do and the board was
> gracious enough to give me a couple of minutes to correct the resolution.
> Unfortunately, whimsy wouldn't save the corrected resolution, for a reason I
> don't yet understand. I went a second round with svn, but ran out of time.

I've opened an issue on the whimsy problem:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIMSY-27

I've also opened another issue that I would appreciate feedback on:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIMSY-28

> Looks like I got the graduation gods really angry. This is not what a
> podling should expect from an ASF member.
>
> Hadrian

- Sam Ruby

Re: Not just yet

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.