Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Schrock <pe...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 21:07:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Domain Name not working on localhost

         I have a home server set up with a couple of things going on.
Here is the weird thing that I can't figure out. I can access everything
just fine from an INTERNET connection external to my LAN using my domain
name, let's say "domain.com". So, if I type into my browser on my LAN
"www.domain.com", it searches without actually finding it's destination
giving up after a period of time saying the server cannot be found
(usually an error 408). But, if I type www.domain.com on my mobile phone
browser using my data connection (not on the LAN), it connects without a
hitch and everything functions fine. I have done this set up before at a
different home, but since I moved, I have come across this problem and
either don't remember having this happen before or don't remember what I
did to resolve it. Also, I changed ISP and that seemed to be the
beginning of the problem. I set up my port forwards and checked my
firewalls on the router. I looked on google and couldn't find anything
specific to my problem. Everything I have read in the user documentation
for apache seems to be set up correctly. I guess my question is what do
I not know that I should know to be looking for. :-/
Could some one direct me as to what I should look for? Thanks.

Peter

Re: [users@httpd] Domain Name not working on localhost

Posted by Pete Houston <ph...@openstrike.co.uk>.
Most likely your (new) ISP is not set up to route traffic out and then
back in again.

Instead, on your client set up a hosts file entry with the private IP
address of the server on your LAN and you should be fine.

Good luck,

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107