Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by rokham <so...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/12 02:40:26 UTC

Tomcat stops responding due to too many requests - using Jackrabbit

Hi,

I've written a web application using Jackrabbit. I have Tomcat as my web
server and I'm having a strange problem when a large number of requests are
sent to Tomcat simultaneously.

Here's the scenario:

When I have about 7 people accessing the server and sending about 10-15
requests at a time, the server starts off very strong and keeps going for
about 5 minutes (Each of the 7 people sends 3-4 batches of requests over
those 5 minutes. This means in 5 minutes we have 7 people sending about 50
requests each. Therefore a total of 350 requests). After the 5 minutes the
sever slows down and about 2-3 minutes after doing the same routine, Tomcat
stops responding.

I was monitoring the system and the CPU was calm and the memory was running
at about 100 MB. But it's really strange that Tomcat stops responding even
though the server is not doing anything. And it's not like the request has
timed out. No error msg or anything is sent back from Tomcat.

I'm using Jackrabbit as my DB and I'm having a really hard time spotting the
problem. I don't know if I need to tweak tomcat's configs, or something in
Jackrabbit or is it something with Tomcat and Jackrabbit talking to each
other, that I need to know about.

I came across the post below and the line saying It is caused by an in
accessible data base.  made me wonder if there's a glitch between tomcat and
jackrabbit.
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg158745.html

Thank you in advance. Any help is much appreciated, since I need to have the
system ready in a week.

Re: Tomcat stops responding due to too many requests - using Jackrabbit

Posted by rokham <so...@gmail.com>.
Note that all these requests are  WRITING  to Jackrabbit. I also just came
across this article, claiming that "Jackrabbit isn’t actually able to handle
concurrent queries well".

Does this mean I should move away from Jackrabbit?

Posted by rokham <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I learned yet another new thing :)

I think my problem lied in my program's usage of sessions accessing
Jackrabbit. I had a single session processing all the requests, but after
reading a lot online, special thanks to this page:

http://n4.nabble.com/Threads-in-jackrabbit-application-td520034.html#a520034

I learned that each thread should have its own session. I made the changes
and the performance shot up very significantly.

I used to be able to add/update/query Jackrabbit with about 300-500 requests
(over 5 minutes) and it would come to a halt. Now I was able to perform
7,200 operations (over about 40 minutes) and it was still up and running (no
glitches felt). I still need to run longer and harsher tests on the
application but I feel a lot more confident in its performance.

Thanks again for your help,

Rokham