Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sujit Choudhury <S....@westminster.ac.uk> on 2006/06/30 15:44:10 UTC

How to configure tomcat SSL with pem file

 I am running tomcat server and would like to have SSL support.  I have
a key signed by verisign which looks as follows:
./ssl-cert-check -i -c finalfile.pem

Host                                Issuer            Status   Expires
Days Left
----------------------------------- ----------------- --------
----------- ---------
FILE:finalfile.pem                  RSA Data Security Valid    Sep 16
2006 78

However, I can not use import command as it gives
keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate

I presume pem file is not X.509 file.  I would be grateful if somebody
can let me know how I can configure server.xml file or an alternative
way to use the import command.

Many thanks
Sujit Choudhury
ISLS
University of Westminster
Ext 3851

Re: How to configure tomcat SSL with pem file

Posted by Jack <ja...@gmail.com>.
You could turn the key into a certificate and then it would (most likely) work.

Have a look at these instructions:
http://jack.godau.googlepages.com/jbosscertificatesandopenssl

Cheers
Jack...

On 30/06/06, Sujit Choudhury <S....@westminster.ac.uk> wrote:
>  I am running tomcat server and would like to have SSL support.  I have
> a key signed by verisign which looks as follows:
> ./ssl-cert-check -i -c finalfile.pem
>
> Host                                Issuer            Status   Expires
> Days Left
> ----------------------------------- ----------------- --------
> ----------- ---------
> FILE:finalfile.pem                  RSA Data Security Valid    Sep 16
> 2006 78
>
> However, I can not use import command as it gives
> keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate
>
> I presume pem file is not X.509 file.  I would be grateful if somebody
> can let me know how I can configure server.xml file or an alternative
> way to use the import command.
>
> Many thanks
> Sujit Choudhury
> ISLS
> University of Westminster
> Ext 3851

Cheers
Jack...

The claim "natural" is not synonymous with safe.