Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Liav Ezer <li...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/13 16:48:26 UTC

SSL Configuration Question

Hi,

I need help configuring my http connector to be a secure one via SSL.

I have the purchased certificate's (from a CA which i don't know who is)
products in 4 different files:

xxx.domainname.com.cer   -> I don't know what is this file..
xxx.domainname.com.key   -> I believe this is the encrypted key for the
certificate
xxx.domainname.com.csr   -> I believe this is the request
xxx.domainname.com.crt   -> I believe this is the actual certificate issed
by the CA

Basically my question is:
In server.xml i open the SSL connector at port 8443 as below:

1. What should i write at the keystoreFile? - Which of the 4 files i have do
i need to point to?
2. What do i write in the keystorePass attribute?
3. What should i do with the rest of those 4 files?

	<Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
               keystoreFile="<keyStoreFileLocation>"
      	  keystorePass="changeit"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

Thanks alot!

Re: SSL Configuration Question

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.
"Christopher Schultz" <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote in message

> Liav,
>
> On 11/13/2009 10:48 AM, Liav Ezer wrote:
>> I need help configuring my http connector to be a secure one via SSL.
>
> Are you expecting to use tcnative in order to use an "APR" connector, or
> do you want to use the plain-old Java HTTP connector? If you don't know
> what I'm talking about, you want the Java one. It's important to
> differentiate because the configurations are done differently.
>
>> I have the purchased certificate's (from a CA which i don't know who is)
>> products in 4 different files:
>>
>> xxx.domainname.com.cer   -> I don't know what is this file..
>
> Neither do I. Look at the date stamps to see if it's relevant.
>
>> xxx.domainname.com.key   -> I believe this is the encrypted key for the
>> certificate
>
> Hopefully, you created this file yourself and haven't given it to
> anyone. It should be a /private/ RSA key.
>
>> xxx.domainname.com.csr   -> I believe this is the request
>
> .csr files are typically "certificate request" files, so yet, that seems
> reasonable.
>
>> xxx.domainname.com.crt   -> I believe this is the actual certificate
>> issed
>> by the CA
>
> Generally, .crt files are the actual certificates. They are usually
> encrypted with a passphrase and can be unlocked using the .key file above.

Urm, usually the .crt files are not encrypted (since they are sent to
anybody that asks for them by the web server).  They are usually base64
encoded (since the actual data is binary).

Re: search engine

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jill Han wrote:
> Sorry, for the non-tomcat issue, but I still hope I can get helps here.

You are right, this is totally off-topic for this list.
But even so,

> Is there any search engine you would recommend that could search public,

You mean, like Google, Yahoo etc.. ?

  and non public( page needs login) pages?

How would it do that ? ask you each time it encounters a page with a
login ? How would it even determine that this page asks for a login ?
(Well ok, if it requires a Basic authentication, then maybe it could,
but still).

Re: search engine

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/16 Jill Han <ji...@alverno.edu>:
> Sorry, for the non-tomcat issue, but I still hope I can get helps here.
> Is there any search engine you would recommend that could search public, and non public( page needs login) pages?
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Jill

Maybe you should look at
http://lucene.apache.org/

I have not used it yet, but at least they have more knowledge.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: search engine

Posted by Jill Han <ji...@alverno.edu>.
There are .html, .php, .jsp, .pdf pages on the apache server.

Thanks,

Jill
Posted by Neil Aggarwal <ne...@JAMMConsulting.com>.
Jill:

Re: search engine

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 16/11/2009 14:34, Jill Han wrote:
> Sorry, for the non-tomcat issue, but I still hope I can get helps here.
> Is there any search engine you would recommend that could search public, and non public( page needs login) pages?
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Jill

If you have a question we recommend you start by starting a new email to
the list, rather than by replying to an existing email, which is called
'thread hijacking'.

search engine

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: SSL Configuration Question

Posted by Liav Ezer <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles,

The reason i'm looking in the forum is beacause the toturial wasn't clear to
me.

The section about importing a certificate issued by a CA begins with:

Download a Chain Certificate from the Certificate Authority you obtained the
Certificate from.
For Verisign.com commercial certificates go to:
http://www.verisign.com/support/install/intermediate.html
For Verisign.com trial certificates go to:
http://www.verisign.com/support/verisign-intermediate-ca/Trial_Secure_Server_Root/index.html
For Trustcenter.de go to:
http://www.trustcenter.de/certservices/cacerts/en/en.htm#server
For Thawte.com go to: http://www.thawte.com/certs/trustmap.html
Import the Chain Certificate into your keystore

Waht is a Chain Certificate? What do i do with it? What product does it
produce (which file type)?

Also, I might need to skip this stage since i already have a certificate at
hand (.cer) as Christofer implied in the previouse thread.

AnyWay - i'm stuck with 4 different files which appearantly look like a
finalized & ready to launch certificate but i don't know how to configure
the connector attributes in order to support it.

Thanks.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Liav Ezer <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your elaborated reply.

Regarding your first question:

No, i don't use the APR connector (port #443 i assume) & the tomcat-native
jar. I do use the plain old HTTP connector in server.xml.

So my only wish is to know what to write in those two attributes:
keystoreFile - Which of the 4 files i have do i need to point to (my guess
is the xxx.domainname.com.key )?
keystorePass - What do i write in this attribute? When i issue my own
certificate (using keytool) it was the password i used creating the
certificate itself.

I googled this & came across many sites. All explained the steps to initiate
a request & import the certificate, BUT i think that i'm over those steps
due to the fact that i have the .cer file at hand & all that is rest to do
is to configure the connector.

Thanks.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.