Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/23 11:18:43 UTC

Bean and Servlet

Hi All
What is the best way to pass a list collection from a Bean to a Servlet?
Thank you

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.
I have changed like this:

pageContext.getRequest().setAttribute("InQry", qry);

and retrieve it in the servlet like this:
inQry = (String)request.getAttribute("InQry");

But when using request attributes, inQry will be null when retrieved?????

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
That clarifies a lot :-) !  You are indeed dealing with two separate
requests from client to server.  As such the Request object won't be the
same between the jsp and the servlet and is the reason your storage of
an attribute in the request didn't work.  Sessions are buit for just
this reason.

There may be a problem with concurrent access to the session if the user
get's click happy or has multiple browser windows open on the same
session and you'll have to be able to handle that.  In general I would
avoid attributes in the session that might cause conflicts depending on
where each browser is in the app.  In your case two windows could be
prompted for a different random question/answer on the same session.
Such a issue might be mitigated with a one time random token stored both
as a hidden form field and a session attribute.  As each request comes
in, compare the tokens and handle appropriately.

Additionally I believe there was a bugzilla issue describing a version
(or versions) of tomcat that didn't use a thread-safe method of storing
session attributes, so you might have to introduce synchronize blocks in
your code to deal with that.  You'll have to look at the bugzilla
database for the issue, tomcat version(s) and it's resolution.  I don't
have that info off hand.

--David

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Mohammed Zabin wrote:
> On 7/27/07, Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, in the first page, which use a tag, I generate 10 random numbers. and
>> generate a SQL statement containing this numbers like the following:
>> SELECT * FROM table WHERE id in ( 2, 3, 5, 10, .... etc). I use a string
>> to hold the " in " statement and bound it to the whole query string.
>>
>> After submitting the page, I need to check the validety of the answers,
>> for the same questions. So, I store the inStr in a session and read it in
>> the second page.

why not just include the question id in the fieldname and submit with
the answer?

<textarea name="question_3">an answer</textarea>
<textarea name="question_5">another answer</textarea>

Enumeration paramNames = request.getParameterNames();
while (paramNames.hasMoreElements()) {
	String name = (String) paramNames.nextElement();
	if (name.startsWith("question_")) {
		String id = name.replaceFirst("question_", "");

		// or remove 'all not digits'
		// String numeric_id = name.replaceAll("\\D", "");

		String value = request.getParameter(name);

		// id=3, value=an answer
		// id=5, value=another answer
	}
}

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

RE: Bean and Servlet

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.

RE: Bean and Servlet

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.

RE: Bean and Servlet

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.
I will tell you the procedure; At each time the user clickes the first page
in the site, a random numbers will be generated and stored in the session.
So, i think that each user has its own numbers, right?

RE: Bean and Servlet

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
This should really be in a separate thread, but I don't see any reason
multiple resources for a single webapp shouldn't work.

BTW, your solution implies the manner you were calling the servlet was
in a separate request.  If the servlet is called in a separate request,
it won't share any of the same request attributes as it's caller.

--David

Re: Bean and Servlet

Posted by Mohammed Zabin <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bean and Servlet