Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> on 2007/10/16 14:05:28 UTC

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

On 10/16/07, blair@tigris.org <bl...@tigris.org> wrote:
> Author: blair
> Date: Tue Oct 16 06:58:40 2007
> New Revision: 27213
>
> Log:
> Initialized merge tracking via "svnmerge" with revisions "1-27141" from
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk

So now you're using svnmerge.py to carefully keep your 'checkpoint' in
sync with trunk.  At this point, how is it any different from a
feature branch?  Is it just the fact that you don't want to write
structured log messages or have people review the code?

I guess I can understand using /checkpoints as a general anarchy
dumping-ground to make backups of patches, but this sort of blurs the
line.  Why not just make a feature branch and ask folks not to review
it yet?

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 10/16/07, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> I think it's fine to move from /checkpoints into /branches, when
> something turns out to need a typical feature branch.

Or, just enable diffs on /checkpoints.  =P  -- justin

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Do we have a policy / social issue with 1 commit branches? If not, why
> not just start a branch if you don't know? (not knowing implies
> /probably/ more than 1 commit...)

No social issue I know of.  In fact, we use 1- (or few-) commit branches for
some backports of bug fixes to maintenance branches, don't we?

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/07, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> "Ben Collins-Sussman" <su...@red-bean.com> writes:
> > So now you're using svnmerge.py to carefully keep your 'checkpoint' in
> > sync with trunk.  At this point, how is it any different from a
> > feature branch?  Is it just the fact that you don't want to write
> > structured log messages or have people review the code?
> >
> > I guess I can understand using /checkpoints as a general anarchy
> > dumping-ground to make backups of patches, but this sort of blurs the
> > line.  Why not just make a feature branch and ask folks not to review
> > it yet?
>
> Well, you doesn't always know when you start something how long it's
> going to take, or how many commits, etc.

Do we have a policy / social issue with 1 commit branches? If not, why
not just start a branch if you don't know? (not knowing implies
/probably/ more than 1 commit...)

> I think it's fine to move from /checkpoints into /branches, when
> something turns out to need a typical feature branch.

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
>> pastebin.ca defaults to 'forever', FYI
>
> OK.  I thought I saw a note in an issue that the patch would disappear
> in a year.  So you changed the default setting?

Not that I know of, it's just always been 'forever' when I go there.

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
>> There is something to be said about throwing the current output from
>> svn diff' on a remote server somewhere as Karl has been doing with
>> pastebin.ca.  No need to keep the branch up to date.  Also, unlike
>> pastebin, which I understand deletes pastes after a year, we'll alway
>> have record of our patches.
>
> pastebin.ca defaults to 'forever', FYI

OK.  I thought I saw a note in an issue that the patch would disappear in a
year.  So you changed the default setting?

Blair

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>> On 10/16/07, blair@tigris.org <bl...@tigris.org> wrote:
>>> Author: blair
>>> Date: Tue Oct 16 06:58:40 2007
>>> New Revision: 27213
>>>
>>> Log:
>>> Initialized merge tracking via "svnmerge" with revisions "1-27141" from
>>> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
>>
>> So now you're using svnmerge.py to carefully keep your 'checkpoint' in
>> sync with trunk.  At this point, how is it any different from a
>> feature branch?  Is it just the fact that you don't want to write
>> structured log messages or have people review the code?
>>
>> I guess I can understand using /checkpoints as a general anarchy
>> dumping-ground to make backups of patches, but this sort of blurs the
>> line.  Why not just make a feature branch and ask folks not to review
>> it yet?
>
> I know, it's turning out that way, not really what I wanted :)
>
> My original intention to using it was to dump the patch somewhere while
> I worked out one issue and wrote a real log message, which is my
> intention to finish this morning.

There is something to be said about throwing the current output from 'svn diff'
on a remote server somewhere as Karl has been doing with pastebin.ca.  No need
to keep the branch up to date.  Also, unlike pastebin, which I understand
deletes pastes after a year, we'll alway have record of our patches.

Maybe we should have /anarchy or /checkpoints also be a place to dump patch files.

Blair

Re: svn checkpoint: r27213 - checkpoints/relative-externals

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.