Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/30 14:17:15 UTC

Tomcat memory increasing without any activity on our webapp

Hello all,

We have a Spring webapp running in a Tomcat 5.5 (5.5.7 or 5.5.25 depending
upon the machines). When we start it up without any surfing on it or without
any activity of any kind, the JVM memory first goes to some level, then
stays at this level for 5-10 minutes and after some times it keeps on
growing up.

BUT, if we set up this webapp as non-reloadable (on a dev machine), the
memory just grows up in the beginning and then doesn't grow up anymore, as
one or at least me should expect.

Does anyone has an idea regarding the cause of this behavior ? Is there
anything we could do ?

Of course, our production environment is set up for non-reloadable webapps
but I see this behaviour as surprising.

Regards,

Pierre

--
Je n'ai pas de maƮtre, je suis le chaos.

RE: Tomcat memory increasing without any activity on our webapp

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pierre Goupil [mailto:goupilpierre@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat memory increasing without any activity on our webapp
>
> When we start it up without any surfing on it or without
> any activity of any kind, the JVM memory first goes to some
> level, then stays at this level for 5-10 minutes and after
> some times it keeps on growing up.
>
> BUT, if we set up this webapp as non-reloadable (on a dev
> machine), the memory just grows up in the beginning and
> then doesn't grow up anymore

There are many definitions of "memory"; which one are you referring to?

What does JConsole (or equivalent) say about heap usage?

What OS are you using?  Which JVM?  What are your Java heap size settings?

The thread that monitors webapps for potential reloading will create objects as it runs, and these won't go away until a garbage collection occurs.  In a lightly loaded system, that may not happen for several days.

 - Chuck