Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com> on 2000/05/19 17:40:00 UTC

"Libaries" of task defs

After reading several of the recent discussion,
I need to ask - Are there libraries or collections out there
of task definitions that people have come up
with to extend Ant? I did some quick searches,
no luck.

Are there plans for a repository of tasks the
way, say, perl or python have repositories of
scripts? Or is too early in the game?

Thanks!

Re: target if defs

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 BP> I'd like to add a conditional "ifnot" to the target if
 BP> definition...

I'd prefer "unless" to be consistent with the include/exclude
sub elements of MatchingTask.

 BP> Basically, I'd like to be able to execute a target if a property
 BP> is false etc...

To be the exact opposite of if it should be either the property is not
set or it's value is not true.

 BP> I can add this myself... who would I send it to, for possible
 BP> inclusion into the source tree?

Your best bet is still to send it to the list and wait for a committer
to pick it up.

Stefan

target if defs

Re: Ant's XML Library?

Posted by Bill Barnhill <bb...@twcny.rr.com>.
I had the same problem. A fix is to install jaxp, which you can
download from the sun java site. I think the url is something like
http://java.sun.com/xml .

Hope this helps,
Bill

Ant's XML Library?

Re: "Libaries" of task defs

Posted by Bill Barnhill <bb...@twcny.rr.com>.
Add-on to previous msg:
Each branch is required to have a status doc and a todo doc and any
committer is allowed to red flag a branch if they feel it is out of
date, fubarred, etc.  One flag would not prevent commits, but a
certain number of flags should prevent commits until thos flags are
taken away.  Also a hall of shame listing the ten developers with the
most flags.  Be nice to have a bravo list as well, each committer can
give a bravo to a developer and a hall of fame lists top ten.   If
this was done it might be a good idea to model after the duke dollars
program.

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
on 5/22/00 5:07 PM, Bill Barnhill at bbarnhil@twcny.rr.com wrote:

> Allow any developer to commit, but each developer is on their own
> branch until they become a commiter. Then they are allowed to commit
> to the committer branch.

Interesting idea. Unfortunatly, we don't have the machinery in place with
CVS to do this in our current set up -- i.e. we don't have the ability to
restrict particular user's commits to a particular branch.

> This branch would be a kind of mainline R&D
> branch and committers could merge in worthy code from the other
> developer branches as each saw fit.  The project committee would
> maintain the main release branch and merge in items from the committer
> branch, tagging all the files with a release number and packaging a
> release about twice a month (as Cathedral/Bazaar says release early
> and often).

The PMC isn't responsible for doing releases, its only responsible for
making sure that things run smoothly. To be sure, things obviously haven't
been running smoothly here as they could have been -- though Sam has been
working on correcting that (+1!).

The person(s) that make sure that releases are running are known as "Release
Manager" or some such title (varies).

.duncan

Re: "Libaries" of task defs

RE: "Libaries" of task defs

Posted by Jason Sando <js...@think1up.com>.
<cut>
> >I have posted a request for a Ant Tasks Repository, but there
> >were no responses.
</cut>

and more:

<cut>

RE: "Libaries" of task defs

Posted by Charles Tewksbury <te...@adhesive.com>.
Hello,

> Are there plans for a repository of tasks the
> way, say, perl or python have repositories of
> scripts? Or is too early in the game?

>I have posted a request for a Ant Tasks Repository, but there
>were no responses. I could organize something like that on my
>page (I have coded an XSLT task). I have unlimited space and
>can manage it easily.

Although I don't have any true opposition to this (and who am I to even talk
on this list) but as I read the Jakarta-Project Guildelines and as a person
who has contributed a Taskdef that went nowhere, here are my opinions.  Take
them for what they are worth:

As I understood it Developers cannot commit, however they do contribute
source code and patches.

I would expect either a responsible Committers and/or the Project Management
Committee to be reviewing these submissions and committing them or posting a
rejection for some reason.

I know this puts more work on the volunteers of this project but having
"unofficial" repositories causes fragmented areas throught the web where one
can only get half the answers.

Well taht is my opinion for what it counts.

Re: "Libaries" of task defs

Posted by Michel CASABIANCA <ca...@sdv.fr>.
Hello

Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com> writes:
> After reading several of the recent discussion,
> I need to ask - Are there libraries or collections out there
> of task definitions that people have come up
> with to extend Ant? I did some quick searches,
> no luck.

I think that there are no such repositories.

> Are there plans for a repository of tasks the
> way, say, perl or python have repositories of
> scripts? Or is too early in the game?

I have posted a request for a Ant Tasks Repository, but there
were no responses. I could organize something like that on my
page (I have coded an XSLT task). I have unlimited space and
can manage it easily.

Any opposition ?
--
+---------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Michel CASABIANCA         | http://www.sdv.fr/pages/casa   |

Re: "Libaries" of task defs

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.

Ken Wood wrote:
> Are there plans for a repository of tasks the
> way, say, perl or python have repositories of
> scripts? Or is too early in the game?

Probably too early in the game. In the requirements doc, there's a start
at talking about how this could be done. We need to have consensus on
that and implementation of course.

.duncan