Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de> on 2002/06/25 23:50:23 UTC

documentation for the maintenance branch

Hi,

The documentation is maintained only in the main branch (does
everybody know this?)

For the RC I just copied the docs from the main branch and
created the archives manually. For the final release I wanted
to have everything in one place (merge docs from trunk into
maintenance branch) but the problem is that stylebook needs
xerces1 which has been replaced with xerces2.
The question is if we should bring xerces1 back or just copy
the docs over (and tag the main branch with fop-0_20_4-doc)
for the release?

As Keiron already suggested (I had the same thoughts) I think
we should remove xml-docs (and design) from bin distribution.
I'm not sure about removing html-docs from the src distribution.

Should we remove the docs completly from the maintenance branch?

PDF generation of the documentation seems to be broken.

What is the status of the new FAQ?

Christian

Re: documentation for the maintenance branch

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
J.Pietschmann schrieb:

[..]

> The last checkin showed a "generate commit notification mail"
> or something, but I didn't get one either.

AFAIK your commit mail needs to be approved once.
Best thing would be to ask root.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> We're not really in a hurry, are we?
I thought we are...
The problem is that DTD and XSL of all documents has to be
in sync, a partial commit breaks things :(

> If it makes life simpler: +1. The only question arises when we're coming
> to the point when we're starting with dev releases of the redesign.
> We need different docs for each, right?

We should factor out a common set.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
> Christian Geisert wrote:
> > For the final release I wanted
> > to have everything in one place (merge docs from trunk into
> > maintenance branch) but the problem is that stylebook needs
> > xerces1 which has been replaced with xerces2.
> > The question is if we should bring xerces1 back or just copy
> > the docs over (and tag the main branch with fop-0_20_4-doc)
> > for the release?
>
> Hmm, I'm working on the docs, both bringing them to forrest
> v11 DTDs as well as ditching stylebook and using Ant style.
>
> This will take at least until after this weekend, sorry.

We're not really in a hurry, are we?

> > I'm not sure about removing html-docs from the src distribution.
> It will be part of the built process.
>
> > Should we remove the docs completly from the maintenance branch?
>
> I think so.

If it makes life simpler: +1. The only question arises when we're coming
to the point when we're starting with dev releases of the redesign.
We need different docs for each, right?

> > PDF generation of the documentation seems to be broken.
> >
> > What is the status of the new FAQ?
>
> I checked in the first draft into the maintenance branch, where
> it went into the Attic. Meanwhile I merged Keirons suggestions
> as well as some stuff I forgot. Unfortunately, it can't be
> built yet.

I still don't get Jörg's CVS notifications. What can we do to get them
working? I'd really appreciate to know what's going on in CVS.

> The forrest project has a new, lighter skin, the Bert skin, which
> allegedly doesn't crash Netscape4. If I get around this, should
> I replace the Apache skin by the Bert skin?

+1. The new skin looks great. And the forrest people will be happy that
their works gets adopted. I can probably free some time during weekend
to help if that's useful. I'm somewhat reluctant to include new
functionality patches that are currently waiting, now that we have a
release candidate.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

Re: documentation for the maintenance branch

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Fopdevs,

Obviously there is a need for some documention with normal releases.  We
don't need the design docs in the user releases, but all of the
operational material, including the FAQs, is necessary.

If we were to do source and compiled releases, the xml-docs could go
into the source release, for generation by the user.  Vice versa, the
generated html (and pdf docs?) need to be included in binary releases
(with the proviso above, that the design docs are not needed.)  It looks
as though reworking is needed in the build.xml to accommodate these
distinctions.  How does that sound?

Peter

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest