Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be> on 2008/01/09 11:16:08 UTC

Re: tomcat6 installation

En l'instant précis du 09/01/08 11:16, Melanie Pfefer s'exprimait en ces
termes:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install tomcat6 on Solaris 8. I
> downloaded apache-tomcat-6.0.14-src.tar and untarred
> the archive to /usr/local/tomcat6/

> bash$ more catalina.out
> Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/s
> tartup/Bootstrap
>

> could you please advise?
>
> thanks

Sure, the "-src" file is the *source* file of tomcat, those need you to
compile it and probably run a dist making script included in folder. If
you just want to install tomcat, download the binary packages.

--
http://www.devlog.be (a belgian developer's logs)

RE: tomcat6 installation

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Melanie Pfefer [mailto:melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk]
> 1- how to change the http port number?

Look at the various Connector elements in conf/server.xml

> 2- how to allow a non-root user to start tomcat? Is it
> only though file ownership modification (chown -R
> /usr/local/tomcat6)?

Make sure you're not using a port under 1024 on UNIX, or Tomcat will have to bind that port as root anyway.

Otherwise, you just need to make sure the non-root user has access to the appropriate Java and Tomcat files, yes.  I routinely run Tomcat as a non-root user on various Linux systems, just by extracting a copy in my user directory and making sure I don't use any privileged ports.

                - Peter

RE: tomcat6 installation

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

1- how to change the http port number?
2- how to allow a non-root user to start tomcat? Is it
only though file ownership modification (chown -R
/usr/local/tomcat6)?

thanks again.

--- Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>

RE: tomcat6 installation

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Re: tomcat6 installation

Posted by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net>.
Melanie;

Am Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:48:10 +0000 (GMT)
schrieb Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>:

> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/
> export JRE_HOME=/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/jre/
[...]
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap (Unsupported
> major.minor version 49.0)

tomcat 6.x requires JRE/JDK to be at least 5.0...

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu@jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771

Re: tomcat6 installation

Posted by Melanie Pfefer <me...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hello and thanks for the reply,

I downloaded the binaries apache-tomcat-6.0.14.tar.gz

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/
export JRE_HOME=/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/jre/

the tomcat is still not starting:

bash-2.03# more catalina.out
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap (Unsupported
major.minor version 49.0)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native
Method)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
        at
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)

could you please advise?

thanks again