Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/24 15:19:18 UTC

55 million downloads

A quick update.  As of last night we're now at 55,155,204 downloads of AOO 3.4.

To put it in perspective Instagram reports that they have 100 million
users, and Facebook thought they were worth $1 billion (US).

Of course, we are free and always will be.  As Warren Buffet said,
"Cost is what you pay; value is what you receive".  We're providing a
lot of value.

I don't think it is worth the time to do a blog post, etc.  It is not
news any more.  But maybe at 10 million download intervals, or 75
million or something like that, we announce more broadly?

Regards,

-Rob

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/24/2013 03:19 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> A quick update.  As of last night we're now at 55,155,204 downloads of AOO 3.4.

Great to see that it's growing and growing.

> To put it in perspective Instagram reports that they have 100 million
> users, and Facebook thought they were worth $1 billion (US).
>
> Of course, we are free and always will be.  As Warren Buffet said,
> "Cost is what you pay; value is what you receive".  We're providing a
> lot of value.
>
> I don't think it is worth the time to do a blog post, etc.  It is not
> news any more.  But maybe at 10 million download intervals, or 75
> million or something like that, we announce more broadly?

Suggestion, maybe obvious, but however:

At 60 Mio we could,
at 75 Mio we should,
at 100 Mio we must publish this as news/blog post/...

Marcus

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24 June 2013 17:50, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>> of

>> would

>> > Super work rob, without having dived into the details myself I hope you
>> can
>> > answer one question.
>> >
>> > Considering the download structure of 3.4.1, do you see any big backlogs
>> of
>> > 4.0 (point where we could assume users would download, but not supported
>> by
>> > 4.0) ?
>> >

>> I'm not sure I understand the question.
>>
>> It would be easier if you learned danish :-)
>
> Let me try to reformulate:
>
> You know where the bulk of the download was done (language versions,
> language packs, sdk ....), looking at 4.0 would the same bulk be possible
> or do we e.g. miss a part (e.g. if one language was a major download and
> not supported in 4.0, it would limit the downloads).

Downloads (for full install) by language is here:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/mediaresource/0a472c36-6a5a-43f2-b8b5-3aeb80581ae7

So the top 8 languages account for almost all downloads.

In any case this all comes from our decision to only release full UI
translations.  This improves quality and user experience, but at the
same time means that languages that have marginal volunteer support
may appear in one version but not another.

There are other possible ways of handling this.  For example,
LibreOffice ships some translations that less complete than the
partial ones that we *do not* release.

Personally I think we should preserve our quality goals and
continually recruit translation volunteers.   Hopefully the now stable
Pootle server and the cleaner processing of translation files, due to
your and Juergen's efforts, will make this easier going forward.

And remember with AOO 4.0 we get to add new languages, like Tamil
(native language for 70 million people).

Regards,

-Rob

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: 55 million downloads

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/24 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> A quick update.  As of last night we're now at 55,155,204 downloads of AOO
> 3.4.

Good!