Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tom Harper <to...@auctionet.com> on 2000/11/14 03:55:45 UTC

Child Process Expiration ( Was RE: Memory Usage)

Hi Folks--

This may be slightly off topic, but I suppose adds to the
prior discussion-- G.W. Haywood (i think?) said that he set
child process expiration at 100 hits-- this seems small to
me, mostly because the 1.3.9 apache distribution notes
(which claims that 10,000 is high), and partly because
throttling at 1000 has seemed to work (so far) for me...

was wondering what other folks set their child process
expiration at for best performance with mod-perl (and
why) ?

Any wisdom would be helpful,

Tom

Re: Child Process Expiration ( Was RE: Memory Usage)

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Tom Harper wrote:
> was wondering what other folks set their child process
> expiration at for best performance with mod-perl (and
> why) ?

I set it to 0 and use Apache::SizeLimit.  No point in killing a process
that isn't too large just because it served x number of requests.
- Perrin

Re: Child Process Expiration ( Was RE: Memory Usage)

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Tom Harper wrote:

> G.W. Haywood (i think?) said that he set child process expiration at
> 100 hits-- this seems small to me,

Yes, it was he.

He also said that most people think that's rather low and set it higher...

73,
Ged.