Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/03/17 14:31:53 UTC

AC NA 2010 - Lucene

Count Lucene in.  Grant Ingersoll will be the track organizer, but we have several people helping out.  Please direct any mail that is not confidential to general@lucene.apache.org.  Any confidential mail can be directed to gsingers@apache.org.

Also, we had one question: do we only get one day for sessions or can we have more if we can fill them?

Finally, in all likelihood, Mahout will be it's own PMC before AC (it's likely to happen next month), and it would likely have a few talks as well.  How should we handle that?

Thanks,
Grant

Re: AC NA 2010 - Lucene

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Noirin Shirley wrote:

> Grant, Lucene,
>
> Thanks for stepping up!
>
> To answer your first question, we're pretty limited in terms of the
> number of track-days in Atlanta - if you have a proposal you think is
> really stellar and going to draw crowds, we'd love to see what you're
> thinking of, whether it's one day or more. But until we see what other
> proposals are on the table, we can't really promise anything in terms
> of how much space you'll get.

Sure, I understand.  We had no problem filling the rooms for 2 days in Oakland, so I would expect likewise for Atlanta.

> In answer to your second question, we're not currently looking for
> submissions for individual talks. It sounds like Mahout might not have
> enough for its own program, but we're encouraging PMCs in that
> situation to talk to other, related PMCs, and to come up with a joint
> proposal. So if Lucene are looking for more than one day, perhaps you
> could make sure Mahout are included in your submission -
> alternatively, perhaps it would make sense to make two proposals, one
> for "Lucene core" and one for "Lucene subprojects"? You guys are
> closer to the coalface, so we're leaving it up to your judgement as to
> what makes most sense. Ultimately, we're looking for strong tracks,
> and that doesn't always split neatly along PMC/TLP lines.

Sure, Mahout will likely only have 1 or 2 talks whereas Lucene usually has more submissions than slots.

> Whatever you decide, it would be great if you could send us a small
> (c. 200 words) proposal/vision/outline for what you expect the track
> to include. We're looking for something that will make us go "ooh!",
> and convince the planners that there will be 100 people willing to
> come to see your track :-)

When do you need this by?  We can have something to you by this weekend.

> If Mahout want to do something themselves,
> they can of course do the same - they don't have to wait til the board
> passes the resolution! If they're included in your proposal, that's
> fine though.

OK, will do.

Re: AC NA 2010 - Lucene

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.
Grant, Lucene,

[...]

come to see your track :-) If Mahout want to do something themselves,
they can of course do the same - they don't have to wait til the board
passes the resolution! If they're included in your proposal, that's
fine though.

I hope that makes sense, and please let me know if you have any other questions,

Noirin