Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Nathan Upchurch <na...@upchurchpwm.com> on 2013/01/15 12:48:39 UTC

Volunteer

Hi There,

I'd like to subscribe to the mailing list, please, and I am happy to
volunteer to help.

My skill set is as follows:

Graphic Design
Print Design
Web Design
Photo retouching and compositing
Social Media

I use the following software:

(Adobe)
Photoshop
Illustrator
Muse
Indesign
Edge Animate
(occasionally) Dreamweaver

My background is in print design, production and management.
My business website is below if you'd like to get an idea as to what I
can do.

Kind Regards,
--
Upchurch PWM Ltd

*Upchurch PWM <http://www.upchurchpwm.com>*

*Nathan Upchurch*

www.upchurchpwm.com <http://www.upchurchpwm.com>

07513772758 | 01896 753 202 | Skype: n.upchurchpwm

Please follow me on: Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/upchurchpwm> |
Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/upchurchpwm> | Linkedin
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/upchurch>

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Nathan Upchurch <na...@upchurchpwm.com>wrote:

>  Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for the welcome. I've read through the intro page and had a look at
> the activity list.
>
> I'd like to get involved with activities 3 (Brand Refresh / Logo), 4
> (Landing Pages [copy writing]), 5 (marketing collateral) and I'm happy to
> take a look at what 9 (social networking) involves and see if it's feasible
> for me time-wise.

Great!

> The prospect of a site redesign IS daunting die to its size, but I really
> like the landing page idea. Increasingly, software solutions such as this
> one are represented by super simple pages with big shiny buttons (EG
> inky.com, mailchimp, ifttt.com, pagelime.com) that concisely articulate
> the benefits and features of the product with a clear call-to-action. I
> think we could get away with what we've got, if when a user searched for
> "open office" they were greeted with such a page, and* then *directed
> through to the nitty-gritty if that's what they were after. (if I'm making
> any sense?)

Certainly search traffic is huge for us, counting for 52% of visitors in
the last month.  But most of that consists of people searching for
variations on "openoffice", "open office", "openoffice download" "apache
openoffice", etc.  But the interesting part is that our visitors are from
all over the world, so the landing pages they hit are spread out.

So of search-directed visits, the landing pages are:

19.81% to /index.html, our English homepage
8.27%  to /de/index.html, our German homepage
6.16%  to /fr/index.html our French homepage
5.73%  to /download/index.html our English download page
4.27% to /it/index.html our Italian homepage
3.59% to /es/index.html our Spanish homepage

etc., with a long tail. of other pages.

In terms of where they are on the awareness scale, these users already know
the name "OpenOffice", they know they want, and they tend to quickly find
the download and get on with their day.  So the pages are successful in
that sense.  But I think we could do better to reenforce a positive image.
The pages we have now are a generation old and we're missing an opportunity
to give them a good impression.

Then there are those lower down in the awareness scale.  Maybe they
searched for  "free Microsoft Office" or "open source office" or "MS office
replacement" and got to us.  Dropping them on the home page is probably not
leading to great conversion rates.  That's my guess, but I haven't dug
deeply.  For them they need to be sold, not just pointed to "download
here".  They have natural concerns, fears, reservations that need to be
addressed before they take action, e.g., "Is this safe?", "Will it work on
my PC?", "Is it really free?"  "Is this a virus?"

> I could easily create a landing page like this using Adobe Muse that would
> be less intimidating and (I think) increase conversion rates. We could even
> have a mobile and/or tablet version at the same time. This could then be
> updated quickly via FTP, and the .muse file could even stored on a communal
> google drive / dropbox folder for immediate editing by anyone who works in
> Muse. Just a thought at any rate! I built my whole site (and the mobile
> site) in Muse (and Edge Animate). I like the idea of a logo redesign,
> because while I think what we have is great, the whole "glossy" trend is
> going to be out shortly. I think it's better to stick with a flat vector
> graphic to create something more timeless. I'm happy to help.

I'm not familiar with Muse.  Is the output standard HTML?   One thing we
need to be mindful of is that as a volunteer-led open source project, we
try not to rely on software that would be costly for other volunteers to
use as well.  That doesn't mean we can't use proprietary tools, but we try
to make sure that the final results are files that someone could edit using
free tools as well, if necessary.  But in any case, it would be, I'm sure,
a provocative conversation starter to try some protoype pages, to see the
range of directions we might take.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Nathan Upchurch <na...@upchurchpwm.com>.
Hi Rob,

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
HI Nathan Upsurch,

Welcome to this group. I am another volunteer like you.  AOO website needs
some improvement in general appearance, logo etc. Just have a look.

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480