Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Nelson <ja...@david-nelson.com> on 2004/06/21 13:51:34 UTC

View SMTP "Conversation" with Gateway

Is there any way to view the SMTP "Conversation" that JAMES has with the
outgoing SMTP Gateway?  I am using my ISPs mail server as a gateway.  Normal
email works fine.  When I have JAMES generate a bounce message, it gets rejected
with a 550 error by the gateway.  If I could view the conversation, I might be
able to spot the point of failure.

Any ideas on how to do that?

As a sidenote, if anyone knows what is so different about a JAMES bounce message
that it causes the gateway to reject it, please let me know.

Thanks!
David

Re: View SMTP "Conversation" with Gateway

Posted by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za>.
David Nelson wrote:

> Is there any way to view the SMTP "Conversation" that JAMES has with the
> outgoing SMTP Gateway?  I am using my ISPs mail server as a gateway.  Normal
> email works fine.  When I have JAMES generate a bounce message, it gets rejected
> with a 550 error by the gateway.  If I could view the conversation, I might be
> able to spot the point of failure.
>
> Any ideas on how to do that?

Turn on DEBUG level logging in environment.xml for category smtpserver, and restart James.

hth,
craig

Re: View SMTP "Conversation" with Gateway

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Craig,
turning on DEBUG mode for SMTPServer wont show up that
communication which James does wid some other Gateway,
e.g. ISP gateway etc.
coz in that case James is acting as client and the ISP
Gateway is the server. Hence, the log name is
"SMTPServer".
DAvid, u may try Ethereal... it works fine for me too.
A bounce message is technically required by the RFC to
have a NULL return path. That is, the envelope sender
is blank, so that the bounce message isnt bounced as
well. Here is wat James wud typically generate in case
of a bounced message and your ISP refusing bounced
message. Something along these lines....

JAMES: helo abn.com
ISP:   250 Hello abn.com ([Connecting IP])
JAMES: mail from:<>
ISP  : 250 Sender <> OK
JAMES: rcpt to:<rc...@bahrain1.com>
ISP  : 550 Not accepting bounced messages

or in some cases, the ISP may issue you 550 as soon as
you submit "MAIL FROM" command.

Regards,
Lahu

Posted by David Nelson <ja...@david-nelson.com>.