Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/12 17:50:15 UTC

Qpid Release Process

Hi Folks,

I think, this is a good time for us to discuss and agree on a release
mechanism that's agreeable to the Apache way.
As per my observations from projects like Axis2, Synapse, Tuscany, Geronimo
...etc the release process is as follows.

We start with milestone releases (M1, M2 ...Mx) until we graduate from the
incubator.
Once graduated we can start doing a couple of 0.9x releases before we hit
the grand 1.0 release.

Here is the typical setup for any release.
Everything is decided based on a public voting on the list. (only binding
votes are counted)

Pre Release
-------------------
1. Create a wiki page and start capturing the feature/bug fix list for the
release
2. We can start a discussion thread and then come to a concensus on the
final list
3. These items should be tracked by jira or other means (jira is preffered)
4. We can start a parallel thread on the release dates.

Release Process,
-------------------------
1. We should do a code freeze and put out a release candidate (ex RC1)
2. We should allow a minimum of one week for people to test/check out the RC
3. If there are major issues maybe do a RC2 and follow the same process
4. If a majority is happy then we can do a code freeze and cut out a
release.

For incubator projects, I believe the incubator PMC has to vote on a
release.
Cliff, Paul can you please confirm??

For the first release I will volunteer to cordinate it.
Comments are appreciated.

Regards,
Rajith

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by ma...@jpmorgan.com.
I think Robert's point is that we should generate a summary page from the
details in JIRA which will avoid re-typing/aging of the information.

Regards,
Marnie

Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>
18/09/2006 16:29
Please respond to qpid-dev

        To:     qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Qpid Release Process

I've seen similar approaches. Jira is the way to capture the individual
bite-sized pieces of the release, but it's not great for representing
the larger goals. The wiki is good for that, and you can have links
either way where that's helpful.

(Disclaimer - haven't used Jira yet am assuming it's similar to other
bug tracking systems. Maybe it can do more than I think.)

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 10:57 -0400, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> Robert,
>
> The preffered way of capturing features (and of course bug fixes) is to
open
> a JIRA.
> But it also helps if we can have a page that list down the high level
> features list/ wish list so that people know where to go to get an idea
> about the current release.
>
> All details should be in JIRA, the wiki page is just a summary and a
> convinience where you see everything in one page.
>
> Comments are most welcomed
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajith
>
> On 9/17/06, Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have create a release page in wiki
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/qpid/QpidReleasePage
> > > I have captured the release process and created a sample page for M1
> > > release.
> > >
> > > Please feel free to add/edit details and lets start planning for the
M1
> > > release (or whatever name we want to give it)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just one question, relating to this point:
> >
> > "Create a wiki page and start capturing the feature/bug fix list for
> > the release"
> >
> > Can we use Jira's release notes generation for this rather than
> > maintaining a separate page? We can just provide a link to the Jira
> > release notes.
> >
> > Actually, do we have a Jira project yet?
> >
> > RG

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Cliff,

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to your comments

Rajith

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Before do a release lets try to get ourselves with the guidelines provided
in the following urls.
[Borrowed from the tuscany mailing list]

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html

Regards,

Rajith

Re: Qpid Release Process

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
That would be great, as soon as rajith has the release page on the wiki
let's outline what we need to
do to create a release the. I am keen to get a baseline release out so
that we have all walked through the
process, and have an easy way for others to work with us. (will the good
to learn the incubator ropes also)

Carl.

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Rajith,

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks marnie,
I am going to create a wiki page to capture the release process and the
requirments.
Once I do it, can u create a wiki page with the below mentioned points and
link it to the main page.
I will ping as soon as I create the page.

Regards,

Rajith

On 9/15/06, marnie.mccormack@jpmorgan.com <ma...@jpmorgan.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
> information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY
> PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to
> be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system
> into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
> recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted
> by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for
> any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the
> material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank

Re: Qpid Release Process

Posted by ma...@jpmorgan.com.
[...]

        To:     qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org
        cc: