Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Shapira, Yoav" <Yo...@mpi.com> on 2004/03/01 15:21:52 UTC

RE: Upgrading Tomcat from 4.1.x to 5.0.x

Hi,

>Are there any cautions/warnings/problems or just differences that I should >expect between the two? For instance, will my servlets need to change in >any way to run in 5.0.x? Will administration of the servlets change in any >way? If there is anything I should do to prepare for the upgrade, >particularly steps that minimize problems, I'd like to do so.

You don't have to change your servlets/listeners/filters/JSPs etc.  There are differences in the server configuration, e.g. the automatic creation of context .xml files in the conf/[engine name]/[host name] directory under certain circumstances.  If you have an unusual or very intricate custom tomcat configuration, i.e. a lot of things setup in server.xml, you might have a slightly more difficult migration.  But your webapp itself won't need to be changed.

>Am I right in believing that I should normally not remove old versions >before installing newer versions of Tomcat; that new versions simply go on >"in parallel", i.e. they are put in different directories than the old >versions? That's what I did when going from 4.1.24 to 4.1.29 in Windows XP.

Doesn't matter.  You can remove the old version if you want, no harm there.  You will probably want to keep it until the new one is all set up and tested, however.

>However, we also have Tomcat on our Linux Mandrake 9.1 server and the >administrator wants to use urpm to simply overlay 4.1.24 on Linux with >5.0.x. Is that safe or should we do it some other way?

I'm not an expert on RPMs, but I dislike overlaying installations to the same directory.  Use a different directory if possible.

Yoav Shapira

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.