Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/16 19:05:29 UTC

RE: ALS-WR and reg rate discussion

Hi,

I remember vaguely the discussion of finding the optimum for reg rate
in ALS-WR stuff.

Would it make sense to take a subsample (or, rather, a random
submatrix) of the original input and try to find optimum for it
somehow, similar to total order paritioner's distribution sampling?

I have put ALS with regularization and ALS-WR  (and will put the
implicit feedback paper as well) into R code and i was wondering if it
makes sense to find a better guess for lambda by just doing an R
simulation on a randomly subsampled data before putting it into
pipeline? or there's a fundamental problem with this approach?

Thanks.
-Dmitriy

Re: ALS-WR and reg rate discussion

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
OK,

yet another crazy idea of mine.

Generally, we we coerce to classical SVD form with singular values,
then Tikhonov regularization can be probably optimized
post-decomposition. Indeed, i can see no reason why we can't control
the smoothing at the prediction stage by hacking the predictor as in
following. Consequently, if we can, then we can also optimize degree
of smoothiness on hold out data after decomposition is done, perhaps
even cross-fold. but we don't have to rerun it again and again.
Finally, a hack for ALS-WR is enclosed too, but in this case this is
more intuitive than derived. i guess i can try it out in R.

It is still possible that it is a complete nonsense of course.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B883AxfQlYWANDllNWQ1ZDQtOTEzOS00MWM3LWI4MjItNDQ3MDg2ZWMzMmE3

Re: ALS-WR and reg rate discussion

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
i just suspect there must have been some research or study done in
terms of how accurate factorization problems are on a sumbsample.
Similar to standard errors and confidence intervals. e.g. i know how
many samples i need to fit observed mean into certain confidence
interval provided i know original distribution . So similar estimate
is sought for a factorization problem, assuming some standard mixture
model.

-d

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Not a bad idea at all.  The objective function is probably very
asymmetrical when expressed with the value lambda.  Transforming lambda
might help with that.  The asymmetry shouldn't be all that big a deal if
you put a constrained 1-d optimizer on the problem.

Posted by Raphael Cendrillon <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitry,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Sort of kind of, but it is hard to extrapolate over a size range of >10 and
that is the scale difference we are talking about.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.